Worried about having a (AAA) or thoracic

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there everyone. I'll just get straight to the point, I'm extremely worried about having an aeortic anyurism (abdominal or thoracic) I'm at my wits end to be honest. 

Im 23yrs of age, male, about 220lbs, don't smoke or drink. I consider myself healthy but overweight which I am working on. 

My uncle had an abdominal anyurism two years ago although he is a heavy smoker with 40 plus years. Since then it's crosssed my mind from time to time but in the last month I'm going crazy with worry. I also have OCD which I dont think helps. I keep trying to tell myself to stop worrying. 

Just last month I had to go to A&E with what my doctor thought was a slightly collapsed lung. My doctor listened to my chest, took my oxygen levels, and sent me I guess just to be sure. At the hospital I had Bloods taken, blood pressure checked about 3 times  and a Chest x ray front and side, doctor At the hospital said it was a pinched nerve. Would a chest x ray have found an aortic anyurism in the upper chest or in the abdomen? I had the chest x ray just over a month ago 

I also had open gallbladder surgery two years ago, I don't have much feeling near the scar it's  numb but sometimes my lower abdomen gets sore. Would this have anything to do with what I mentioned above? I'd appreciate any help guys thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What were the symptoms you had exactly before you went into A&E that made your doctor think you had a collapsed lung?

• Posted

Hi joseph 48505

A chest xray would most definitely have picked up an aortic aneurism. A friend of mine had an xray that picked up her AA. AA's are usually found in in tall lanky people with long fingers and everything about there skeleton is long. They usually have a condition called 'Marvans Syndrome' needless to say my friend was tall and thin. She has since had the op to right the AA and is doing fine. Stop stressing the docs would have picked up AA on your xray....

• Posted

Hi Joseph,

Why not go and see your GP and tell him that you’re worried you’ve got an aneurism. Ask him/her if it would have been seen on your recent chest X-ray.

A relative of mine had an aneurism which was found when he was being investigated for something else. He had high blood pressure and persistent back ache and had been a lifelong smoker.  He was of average height and an average weight i.e. not tall and thin nor short or fat so it isn’t necessarily to do with ones build. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi joseph 48505

Perhaps i didn't explain myself properly, but people with 'Marvans Syndrome' will be candidates for AA. On occasion these people, male or female, will have AA. Men over the age of 65 are tested regularly for AA and not because they have 'Marvans Syndrome' but men of that age are prone to AA. Women, for some reason over 65 years are not tested. You are very young joseph to have AA but if you are worried check with your doctor, he probably will tell you it would have been picked up on x-ray depending on which part of your abdomen you were xrayed..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.