Worried about Hep C exposure

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mom has had hep c for years and didn't know it. She got it from drug use, I am against her coming around me or my son, but my family let's her around anyway so I couldn't do much to control the situation. My mom held my son, and when she handed him to me I noticed pink smudges on his leg were scabs were from a cat scratch. (He was almost 10 months at the time) this was sept. 28. He is 11 months today. I licked my thumb and rubbed it, licked it again and noticed it tasted like blood. So I did it again trying to get it off confused, then I panicked because I realized my mom just held him. I went and scrubbed my tongue right away and used listerine which I know does not kill it, and I cleaned his leg. I then began to worry. She said she did not notice if she was bleeding from anywhere and that she is very careful about that. I'm not sure if it was because his scab could've been picked, if it was hers, or if it was because he was teething and he drooled because I've noticed blood on his onesie from his mouth before. Should I be concerned? She said she was not bleeding from anywhere although she picks at her face a lot. I am unsure if it was hers. Should I be worried? Or am I being paranoid?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sky,

I understand your worriness. Everyone will be on the same boat! sad

Yes, HepC can be transfered blood to blood! I think the only way to make you feel better is to have your son checked! Talk to a doctor about having your son tested!

If your Mom has HepC, it's better to have the treatment as soon as possible! It will be good for your Mom and your family! Treatment now is very easy and effective (8 weeks, 12 weeks or 24 weeks), and can be affordable.

• Posted

I agree with the reply have your son tested, and your mom can seek treatment. I was on two medications as I too had Hep C and I was on it for 12 weeks. I finished in July, and after treatment blood work was done and there is no sign of Hep C anymore. I go again the ending of this month or beginning of next month to do the blood work done again. I feel a whole lot better since taking these medications. It was truly awesome to feel and know that there is a cure for those of us who has had this illness
    • Posted

Are the side effects bad? I always heard that there wasn't a cure but a friend of mine, her mom took shots that were very expensive but as far as I know it cured her. She doesn't want to do treatment, she wants to do drugs lol

• Posted

For me I didn't see any real issues until my 6th week. My side effects were a bit tired than usual, cramps in my leg (calf) like the cramping you get when your pregnant (lol). Gasping like when I would walk up the stairs to take the train I felt as if I couldn't breath well. Itching was too much all over my body, aggitation I could really sit comfortable on the train, and playing for a period of time with a game on my phone was annoying. Stomach felt full and I felt like my food would stay stuck in between my chest. So everyone is different and everyone goes through different things. But honestly it is tolerable and anyone can do it if they are tired of being sick. There is hope!!!! Your mom has to say to herself like the commercial "I am Ready". Good luck to you mother I hope my story will help her to seek treatment cause it really does work. Stay strong yourself. God Bless

• Posted

Hmmmm, your worry center around you and your family only, not even for your mother that really need love at this point in time, this can happen to anyone. May be i should ask you this question, what about if you are in her shoe and your children dat you have labour for since birth treat you this way, how will you feel? Please help your mother out of this virus as hepatitis C is cureable rather than been self centered. 
    • Posted

Did you not read what I said above? She doesn't want to do treatment or do anything to make herself better. I feel like that's the first thing a normal person would want to do. There are reasons why I don't want her around me or my son, I am not concerned for her or her health, I went down that road a long time ago. Me and my son are what's important and will always come first. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped

• Posted

The previous treatment is very bad! They used Interferon which makes people feel like "I better die". The new treatment is oral treatment with tablets. It has less side effects (some do not experience anything, some experience severe side effects like nausea, insomia, pain,etc.)

My doctor said "When many people think of Hep C they think of "liver disease" but Hep C has impacts across the body. Rates of depression, diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, autoimmune disease and strange neurological stuff are all higher in patients with Hep C. While Hepatocellular cancer is a commonly know risk, other cancers like renal cell (kidney) and lymphoma occur at much higher rates".

I personally have known at least 2 people could not start HepC treatment because it developed into liver cancer! Too late for them!

Can't help if your Mom doesn't want the treatment! But talk to her! For the sake of your son, yourself and herself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.