Worried about Hyperplasia - overgrown lining

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - I have already posted today with some anxiety about my changing periods that are now irregular and definately different in quality.

Since January my periods have not been at the regular 25/26 day intervals.  I have a few that are around that length 24. 27. 22 and then a gap to 39 followed by a short one of 16 days.  Then a few again around 23. 22. 26 and then another long gap 37 and a short one of 17 days.  So I guess there is a pattern there.............sort of

The bleeding is horrible, it isn't heavy as such, but it just feels like it's out of control - the periods don't slowly start and peak and peter out as they have all my life.  They arrive and are full on (more watery) and then stop.  It feels as though it is a lot of bleeding but it's more like a sense of evacuation (sorry for TMI) and I get awful water retention and feel like I go down a dress size within a day of starting my period.

I am now worrying that these type of bleeds can lead to thickened lining and hyperplasia that needs treating with progesterone.  How do you know if that is happening if the NHS website says irregular bleeding is OK

Anyone have any experience with this - I do not like medical procedures and don't want to avoid taking care but also dont want to worry.

Aaarrgh I am guessing the only answer is ask the GP - but I am not that comfy with that either (don't know why I am so health anxious right now)

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good luck tomorrow - please let us know how you get on . We all worry too much and make a habit of making mole hills into mountains especially at bedtime!!

Take care

Marion

• Posted

Hi Marion - yes, perimenopause is encouraging the worrier in me and silencing the sensible woman!! sad

My GP was very good, she nodded in recognition as I explained the irregularity of my cycles and said she normally likes to check for anything else like a polyp that might be adding to the bleeding, so she has referred me for an ultrasound.  After that she mentioned I could consider progesterone to help balance things out or even soy, although that won't solve everything.  I said I would try the soy and see.

I also asked about the horrendous water retention as the other symptom bothering me so much and apart from HRT she said try celery, sometimes a stick a day can sort it out!  Who knew............

I am somewhat reassured but ironically didn't even mention the specific worry of hyperplasia - seeing as she has decided on a scan, that will pick anything up I think.

I do get so very anxious and presume the worst - not having had children also makes gynae investigations fairly new to me and I do worry that I have had no breaks from periods which MUST mean something is up!!! Totally convince myself sometimes.  I have had fibroids and cysts in the past and none have needed treatment but I did have symptoms of the cysts, so rationally I think I would know, if the fibroid is still there, she said they would wait for that to shrink with menopause.

All in all, I think I feel better after seeing her.Hopefully with a clear scan, I can better accept these horrible ups and downs.

• Posted

Hello

Pleased to hear you feel more reassured. Have you had your pelvic scan yet?

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Emily, no, I haven't.  I am not sure where you are in the world, I am in the UK and it might take 4-6 weeks for an appointment as it isn't seen as urgent.  I haven't received the appointment date yet.

I am reading more posts about women that have similar bleeding patterns to myself and that this is fairly usual, which is what my doctor said.  I am a little nervous of the scan and results, but good the GP has offered one.  I am not having bleeding between periods as such, they are all periods of one kind or another, just the spacing of them goes out of sync and then back again and they are heavier.  I guess a fibroid or polyp could be involved or the lining - hopefully I will get an appointment soon.

• Posted

Sounds like its all getting sorted. Do NOT WORRY about scans or procedures, you will be ok they're. All of us are different & we deal with everything differently. As I think someone has already said to you. Try & keep busy & tc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.