Worried about inguinal hernia.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Woke up Sunday with an occasional sharp pain in my groin area. Maybe only about 5 times through the day. Very sharp and painful during certain movements. Woke up Monday with a feeling in that area of a very slight burning sensation and a tender area to touch. Nothing raised or anything. Made an appointment, it was assessed and he didn’t feel an area but I was sent for an ultrasound that day. The ultrasound didn’t reveal too much as I was told it looks like a small possible area for a hernia. It didn’t exactly look like it was coming through my abdominal wall and that it looked basically the same on the other side. So i was being referred to a surgeon. Haven’t heard about my appointment yet. Admittedly I’m a hypochondriac so I can’t stop dwelling on it. My questions are would I know if it was strangulated(thanks internet for this worry). I’m passing bowel movements and gas and have a slight pain in the area. Sore to touch and have a slight bloated feeling. Also my other question would be in regards to the hernia and ultrasound. Why would it not be fully confirmed and also look basically the same on the other side? Is it possible for it to not be a hernia? I know that’s a tough question without any other info. Thanks for your help and time. Happy Wednesday.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My inguinal hernia was mostly painless for eleven years, until the twelfth year when my bladder slipped through the tear. It stayed like that for another year, and even then it didn't really hurt unless I'd been on my feet for a long time. Finally it had to go.

• Posted

Hi, please tell me what happened when it slipped through the tear? I'm quite worried that might happens to my inguinal hernia, as it getting much bigger than it used be!cheers

• Posted

When my bladder slipped through the tear, I woke up with a rash down there. My right side area by the hernia bulge was larger than usual. When I pressed lightly on it It felt like I needed to pee. When I got out of bed to pee, it was slow getting going. I knew I had to see a doctor that day. The rash turned out to be Shingles triggered by this event. It was determined that it was time for the hernia to go. I was treated for Shingles. (pray you don't get those), and told I'll be hearing from general surgery dept. to schedule the surgery. That call never came, and I kind of adapted to the condition, when I needed to pee, I'd just press down on that bulge. Still it never really hurt. After a year passed, I mentioned to my primary care doctor, the surgery hadn't been done. I then discussed the with the chief surgeon, (who pairs up the procedures with the various surgeons), and she said " you just described a bladder slider, I'm not going to do anything until urology looks at it ". So they did, and confirmed it with an ultrasound, and she repaired the hernia herself, with another senior surgeon. It took four and a half hours, because they made a classroom type setting of the operation. (other doctors and med students present) I might add, I don't have a lot of say in picking doctors. I'm a military veteran, in the US, and the veterans administration takes care of my medical needs. For good or for bad.

• Posted

I’ve recently had surgery for a right inguinal hernia. (14/06/18)

Didn’t have anything popping through and took the ultra sound guy 10/15mins to locate.

I have private health insurance in the uk and went private with BUPA and was treated in Spire Liverpool, which was brilliant. 

I stopped playing rugby when I found out about the hernia to prevent a strangulation.

Mine initially just felt like a groin pull and then a test iCal type pain (pressure from hernia)

Four wks today after op and doing fine, another two wks til full recovery but looking to start fitness early next wk after speaking to surgeon.

• Posted

Thanks for the responses so far. My main worry about it is strangulation. Will I know if it’s happened. I’m supposed to go to the beach next week and haven’t had an appointment set yet with a surgeon. Even when they set the appointment, I’ll still have to wait for surgery. I don’t know if I should go to the beach or just wait. As I said, I’m mostly worried about strangulation now. 
    • Posted

MY understanding is that you’d be in a lot of pain, in which case you’d head to a&e ASAP. 

Personally I was told not to lift anything heavy or over exert yourself in my case play rugby.

If i. Doubt contact your doctor to make sure your getting the right care.

I’ve had my op and am not overly worried about what to do next, so do understand totally 

• Posted

You would definitely know if it was strangulated. The pain would be intense, continuous and getting worse. You might be vomiting, and/or have a fever. The hernia bulge would be out and you wouldn't be able to push it back in. So I think you can put your mind at rest on that score.

But whether you do have a hernia or not, or whether your symptoms are caused by something else, I wouldn't like to say. That's got to be a question for your doctor!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.