Worried about long term effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi im new to this forum, been on sertraline for about 7 months after a dreadful time with anxiety and all the awful symptons that go with it, my question is this is anyone worried about the long term effects im too scared to stop taking the medication dont want to go back to that dark place but i read it increases the chance of developing alzheimers which im absolutely terrified of as my mother died of this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

marina, are you saying you’re concerned about the long-term effects of the medication or anxiety? I have a concern very similar to yours but I just wanted to clarify that.

• Posted

hi jan, im worried about the long term effects of the medication, so you could say stop taking the medication but im scared about how bad i was with the anxiety, its a difficult one.

• Posted

I am completely in the same situation! You’re the first person that I’ve been in contact with that has a similar thing happening. I’ve literally been worrying for years about this. My mom passed away the same way. It’s on my mind way too much .although I do know people that have taken anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medication for many years and they are fine. Actually my ex mother-in-law is one of those and she is turning 90 this month you would think she was late 60s. Very sharp. I would say different people react differently to the medication. but we always wonder if we’re making the right decision.

• Posted

Hi jan

Thank you for replying, with me im ok for a few days then i will see or hear something about Alzheimers and that starts all the fear, i think because its such a dreadful illness and you suffer for many years as do your family its very frightening.

• Edited

I also do that. Any mention of that condition and I get a fight or flight feeling in my stomach and head. I’m trying to train myself to stop doing that but it’s difficult. I suppose I shouldnt Watch so many things online like on YouTube. Because all of a sudden something like that will pop up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.