Worried about lymph node

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm posting regarding my mum.

She found a pea size lump in the back of her neck under the base of her scull before Christmas. After going to the drs a few times, they kept just shrugging it off saying it will go away and they are not concerned. Eventually they did a full blood count which came back normal, however they did say it showed a recent viral infection.

Last month she decided to ask to be referred to ENT to get it checked, they wouldn't refer as she "didn't have any other symptoms". We decided to go private to get an ultrasound gone, as we felt we were going round it circles and nothing was getting sorted.

wr went for the ultrasound which was performed by a Dr, who said there were no concerning features to the lymph node, normal shape and normal blood flow.

Now the last couple of weeks she's been getting itching at the base of her spine in just that location. When the dr mentioned other symptoms of lymphoma, they did mention itching, so this has now got us a bit worried again.

Also, shed had an on/off cough for a couple months.

my question is, can a Dr see by an ultrasound if a lymph node is begin?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

an ultrasound cant rule out lymphoma by itself, there are certainly traits that point towards lymphoma or cancer but they arent always present. it isnt uncommon for lymph nodes to stay enlarged permanently or a long time after a bad infection, over a year ago i had a very bad upper respiratory tract infection and have had 8 lymph nodes that swelled up in my neck and never gone down. ive had follow up scans and showed no growth and the doctors (ive seen two ENT's abd a hematologist, said they arent worried) have said sometimes nodes stay enlarged after an infection. the biggest thing is if they continue to grow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.