Worried about Lymphoma

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello.

a few months ago, i felt a small bump when i pressed down in the upper thigh. long story short, ended up seeing a hematologist a few months ago, had every major blood test including tests for lymphoma and lukeimia cells, and an ultrasound of the small lump...everything came back clean.

last week, i started noticing a very sore throat and extremely painful teeth. my GP tested for strep which was negative and my dentist said my wisdom teeth are impacted but not infected.

i have noticed enlarged nodes that are much bigger (gum ball sized) under my jaw on both sides. they arent painful and they feel pretty hard and not squishy (are they supposed to feel squishy)? My coughing has been producing phleghm and i just feel very ill with the sore throat, teeth, and now the nodes.

should i be concerned that this could be lymphoma? if my blood work for lymphoma came back clean a few months ago, is it possible for it to be cancer now? im extremely nervous about the lymph node swelling. thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From one hypochondriac to another. just reading this reminds me of what I DO.... Find something,, google, find the worst possible case, go to the DR so they can you give me a complete workup... never enough as I think a CT is appropriate, possibly surgery... All tests come back normal and eventually all symptoms too. So I then poke and prod every lymph node until they become hard and irritated.

It actually helps me read your post. Because I could have written it myself.

ALWAYS good to visit the dr though.

Sore throats and teeth are very common in these months, so try to relax, and make an appointment if you are concerned. But also try to put things into perspective. Remember reality checks and separating imagination from reality.

Totally get it though.

• Posted

thank you. yea im just nervous because the nodes are so prominent and hard. when people say they should feel soft, are they supposed to be squishy? mine are smooth, round, hard, painless, but move around

• Posted

when you touch them alot they get bigger and harder but definitely go to Dr. I am not a Dr.

I had one that was pea sized and hard and they wanted to biopsy. Actually took antibiotics for something unrelated and it disappeared. But just the same go see someone and get them biopsied. Movable is a good thing, hard could mean many. Good luck and update!

• Posted

No, do not be concerned. I have been having swollen lymph nodes in my jawline/head area for almost a year now, I feel like a lymph node veteran lol. I've seen a bunch of different doctors now and they all believe mine are related to bad acne I get on my face here and there.

• Lymph nodes tend to be associated with sinister things, but over the last year I've learned that they actually can swell for the most minor reasons (like acne and more).
    • I've also read up a lot about Lymphoma and lymphoma symptoms are nothing like you described. The oncologist I saw told me the common symptoms are: 1. rapid weight loss 2. severe night sweats and 3. persistent fever. What you described sounds more like you have a cold or illness and that's why your nodes are swollen - which that is completely normal.
    • I really wouldn't worry too much, I know it's hard bc I have health anxiety also. But from all my personal and extensive experience with lymph nodes, what you said you have doesn't concern me at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.