worried about medication, can anybody help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, since stopping drinking my anxiety has got worse, so much so I dont leave the house, my g.p prescribed me citalopram 10mg tablets

I read the leaflet and an petrified to start taking them with side effects like fainting and even says death, does anybody no how safe they are

since quitting the alcohol im on propranolol folic acid spironolactone and thiamine tablets which I take no problem just cant seem to take theese citalopram worry about what will happen if I will

thanx steven

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Steven,

By law, every side-effect that has EVER been reported has to be listed. NOBODY has all of them and a large number are very rare (maybe 1 person in 10,000) You would never take any drug if you read the side effects.

The biggest worry is that your anxiety is preventing you from taking a treatment for your anxiety!! This could result in you ending up back on alcohol which WILL have massive effects on your health for certain.

Take the pills as prescribed! The doctor wouldn't have prescribed them if he/she thought that their career would be on the line because they killed you. Millions of people take these safely each day and get great relief from their anxiety and depression.

• Posted

Hi paul thanks for reply, I started to take them today and so far im ok just a bit dizzy, but think thats my anxiety

hopefully they work and lose theese anxiety feelings

steven

• Posted

They take time to reach the therapeutic level in your body so you are unlikely to notice much of an effect on the first day. After a week, you should be noticing a real difference in your anxiety but their effect will increase daily between now and then.

I hope you soon start to see improvements in how you feel smile

• Posted

Hi paul,thanks for reply

on second day now and my heads pounding and realy weired feeling like pressure dizziness and lightness on feet when I walk, just noticed a rash on my arm, do think I should be worried

think it may be side effects but no to sure,

• Posted

Steven, a skin rash is mentioned as a possible side effect that affects around 1 in 1000 people, so that is possible. Headache occurs in 1 in 10 people, dizziness in 1 in 100.

These symptoms are likely to subside as your body gets used to the medication but if they become too much of a problem, contact your Dr. It shouldn't take more than a week before any mild side-effects stop.

If you get any more severe side-effects, don't hestitate to contact your Dr.

• Posted

Thanks for reply paul, you have been a great help at putting my mind at ease, the rash is away now, I'm determined to persevere with the medication and hopefully side effects go soon
  • Posted

hi steven   i am taking citalopram, i have had no side efects at all i am taking 20mg daily i am also on thiamine with no side efects, give it a try  if you still dont feel happy see your gp good luck 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, started taking them today so hopefully no side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.