worried about mould on shower

Posted , 5 users are following.

hope someone can help me i am worried about mould on the bottom of my shower unit in my en suite bedroom which is the only shower me and my partner use. we re sealed the shower a month ago and didnt get around to the shower unit. noticed it getting worse so instead of cleaning just brought a new shower hose and shower head. just wondering if its just mildew general bathroom mould or toxic black mould. MY partner wiped it of with a toothbrush so quickly before i could turn around it comes of easily without any scrubbing. any help

thanks File size is too bigimage

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I get that in my bathroom, it is black slime mold. I used to live in a very hard water area so I was used to just lime scale but when I moved to a medium water area that stuff appeared. I don't think it is that harmful.

Make sure when you have a shower or bath the window is open or the fan is on. After you shower, wipe the areas it grows on dry. Use drain unblocker regularly because it can clog up your drains. It tends to grow where things aren't sealed well or where soap and bubbles collect. Also wipe the bottom of your shower head and taps regularly.

• Posted

ok thank you for your help. so what you reckon it is then just mould or serious black mould. its gone now i took the cover of and it came of easily and replaced the head and hose .

thanks for the advice

thanks jon

• Posted

From what I understand this type of mould is harmless. The kind of black mould that is a problem, is the stuff that grows through damp on walls and around windows.

• Posted

File size is too bigFile size is too bigFile size is too bigimage

yes i had some of that discoloring around the window cleaned and just touched up with paint never came back. so this shower mould is ok yes ? it is allways abit wet there because of splash from shower etc and maybe hose end.

thanks again jon

• Posted

Here you can buy sealant that doesn't allow black mould to grow. I am in a very soft water area so the mould would proliferate given half a chance. A spray of diluted white vinegar is also helpful in difficult to clean daily areas, I can't bend so rely on someone to come and clean my shower tray every fortnight, so I spray every other day.

• Posted

ok thank you for your help. so what you reckon it is then just mould or serious black mould. its gone now i took the cover of and it came of easily and replaced the head and hose .

thanks for the advice

thanks jon

• Posted

I think it's just your typical mildew. You might want to use a bleach solution to clean it and then keep a fan on it to help keep the air circulating so it won't grow back.

• Posted

ok thank you my partner just used a toothbrush with dettol mould and mildew remover sprayed on it came of in seconds. yeah i do have a fan which i switch of along time ago due to the noise i should start using it again image

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.