Worried about MRI

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Went for CT scan of liver on Wednesday night and got phone call from Dr on Friday for appt to discuss results

Basically there were spots on my liver so am being referred urgently for an MRI

Have been off my food lately, not feeling hungry. But not in any pain

My ALP levels are raised

Some episodes of diarrhoea but not regularly

Just wondering if anyone has gone thru similar

I'm a 39 year old female

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

MRI is the best way to characterise liver lesions, so your doctors are on top of things. If you are taking birth control, then there are several benign pathologies that can occur. Also, it's common for the lesions to cause compressive stresses which releases ALP from your intrahepatic bile ducts. Have your doctors run any blood tumor markers: AFP, CEA, CA19-9?
  • Posted

Yes, I have been through the same thing.  I had the MRI done as my ALP levels were also high.  It came back as a nonalcholic fatty liver disease.  The doctor asked me if I wanted to have a biopsy to see exactly what the results of my liver was.  At first I told her no and after a month or so I kept thinking about it.  I had this done, which was no big deal, and it came back as 50% fatty liver but I do not have cirrhosis of the liver.  I have been put on a statin in June because my cholestrol, trig, all were over 300.  They are now going down and they are quite pleased.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for comment it's very helpful

You just think the worse when they start talking about urgent referrals etc There was also talk of a biopsy so will need to wait till MRI appt comes trhrough now 👍👍

• Posted

I was diagnosed in August with NAFLD (Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) when I went for a CT Scan for something else.  Same thing happened to me.  Had the scan on a Friday and they called me Sunday night to make an appointment to see doctor on Monday.  Spent the night thinking I was dying... Same diagnosis.. some spots that presented themselves as fatty liver plus I had Diverticulitis which is a bowel disease. was never referred for an MRI as they said the spots were normal with this condition.
    • Posted

Hi thank you

This is what I am hoping it is but yeh pretty much spent yesterday crying thinking I'm dying thinking about my kids etc but today I figure I just need to wait 😬 Thanks for message x

• Posted

Hi Ashley, I have never experienced that. Maybe doctor is just being cautious and they might just redo the test.
    • Posted

My bloods are being tested every week since September and ALP is consistently high

Still waiting on MRI to be arranged

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.