Worried about mum

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I’m starting to worry about my mum for about 5-6 weeks now my mum has been having pain after eating anything in her upper abdominal, she went to the doctors for bloods and they phoned her to say her pancreas levels have slightly increased, she got a letter through yesterday for an ultrasound 18th this month, does anyone know what this could be? I’m terrified of the C word. She has no other symptoms except those stated above ( she has also got cystic fibrosis) thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, the pain in the abdominal after eating is the most common symptom in increasing the size of the pancreas, the pancreas is a gland that fits at the upper portion of the stomach, it helps in digestion and produces enzymes that are secreted into the small intestines. An abscess can be the reason of this or maybe any other, so it can be cured with the antibiotics. Your mother needs to complete the treatment course she will be definitely fine after the treatment. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, hopefully it is something as simple as that, I myself suffer from health anxiety so I think everything is cancer unfortunately, suppose she will know more when she has the ultrasound. She also is back to the doctors on Tuesday for her bloods to be repeated.
  • Posted

Hi missd14

Your mums pancreatic enzymes are probably showing a slightly raised level (Amylase and Lipase Enzymes all enzymes have the suffix 'ase'wink if they are slightly raised it could indicate pancreatitis. The ultrasound will confirm any abnormality with her pancreas and your doctor will treat according to the ultrasound result....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.