Worried about mum taking codeine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys I'm a carer for my mum, I live with her and so go shopping, help her with other issues but I think she has developed a bit of a problem with codeine. She gets them over the counter so not the super strength but even so. Also her personality changes when she takes them, they help her pain but she becomes moody & combative when on them. When I tell her she just gets more angry & hides the pill packet. I don't know what to do as her mood on these pills is really effecting our relationship. Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI MATE

Sorry to read about your situation. I have been through codeine addiction so know that no amount of reasoning is going to work.

If your Mom is addicted , which is very easily done, I think you should talk to her Dr as if youre purchasing over the counter in UK there will be more paracetamol than codeine in the medication.

Her Dr may be able to offer a short course of a drug called gabapentine which will help her to withdraw.

If she is addicted, she wont be enjoying it as its pretty grim.

Feel free to message me back or email me to talk more.

Stephen

• Posted

Hi. Sorry about your situation. As there is a difference between dependence (physical), and addiction (physical and psychological), you should talk to her and her dr about this. Withdrawal can be hell. know, I was taken off oxycontin as it was poisoning me but I was allowed to have 2.5mgs ordine/4 hours for pain. I was dependent, not addicted and I stopped all opioids within 2 months, including patches. The withdrawals were absolute hell so first thing is getting a dr and pain dr to review her case and see what she needs and what she doesn't. They will devise a tampering plan etc and dicuss pain management that isn'tas addictive forming. Admission to hospital for detox is also a good option if you, as her career can't cope.

Best Wishes

Melissa

• Posted

Please be aware that going off codeine cold turkey can cause many serious issues such a seizures, severe mood changes, coma, vomiting, sweating etc. As I collapsed at home while taking pain management prescribed medication, a paramedic gave my 800mcgs of nalaxone (huge dose) and I suffered seizures on and off for over an hours. Then suffered terribly with sweating, vomiting, nightmares, cloudy head, slurred speech, diarrhea, stomach pain etc for about 10 days. I only took the ordine a few times and tampered it off myself because It made me feel worse.

Hope your mum gets better soon!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to make an appointment at the doctor's to discuss everything.

• Posted

Always ask her hours after taking the medication if she is alright. Keep checking on her and always do what is right health wise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.