Worried about my best friend drinking 24/7

Posted , 15 users are following.

For you that know me I started taking Nalmefene 8weeks ago I've gone from drinking a bottle of wine a day to one a week I feel great. I gave my pills to my friend as he was good at hiding the amount he was drinking He stayed here for the weekend just drank the whole time other than sleeping. He's been taking Nalmefene for two weeks why is it not having any effect? I'm worried as he had seizures. Really hard to watch. Any advice, how can I help him. The doctor wouldn't give him pills he's on a waiting list for an addiction clinic.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Joanna has answered and given You professional advice.

Any medication which has been prescribed for you, is for you alone. It can be extremely dangerous to give to someone else. Ok the symptoms might seem the same, but taking any medication prescribed for someone else is just totally stupid

• Posted

He needs urgent medical help. Seizures can be fatal.

Campral would imo be a better medication for him. Please get him some proper medical care.

• Posted

Joining late today but good advice given by the others. Does your friend have an active life apart from drin king?
  • Posted

He's not working this is the worst I've seen him. He loves to cycle hes a artist. I've watched him cry I feel so helpless.

• Posted

There's always a private consultation, if he has the funds. If he's drinking beyond a certain number of units of alcohol, NHS may well want to put him through a supervised detox first. A private doc may have fewer constraints. 

• Posted

Thanks, he couldn't afford to go private tho.

• Posted

So you are 'cured' in 8 weeks and gave your life saving pills away? Please focus on yourself first, then help others. That would be my advice.

• Posted

I'm not cured I'm just in control I'm lucky Nalmafene worked quick with me. I still will never drink without taking pill.

• Posted

Now hold on I've done all I can I even went and told my own GP I'm not stupid. If he took a seziure in front of me I'd have to hospital asap. I guess it came across that way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.