worried about my fluctuating Blood pressure !!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone !!

I am so worried because my bp is fluctuating within seconds!! I am new with hypertension, it started about three months ago and i am only 37. I always had 110/70. But during May' this year i was so stressed due to some family issues that my bp went high. Since then it stayed 130/90 most of the days and some days it showed 120/80. Yeaterday it went up to 140/100 and in few minutesof rest It went down to 130/90. Later i checked in a different pharmacy in about 7-8 mintues and it showed 120/80. I was so confused and the lady in the pharmacy asked me to come back and check again. After two hours went back and checked again, it showed 122/80. Lets talk about today , my bp was 130/90 in both hands later i went to the different pharmacy just to cross check and it showed 130/90 in left hand and 120/90 in another and in seconds it fluctuated to 150/100. I was scared with the numbers !! I asked that lady to check again after few minutes of rest and the number dropped in 120/90. I was stressed a lot. later way back home i saw another pharmacy and i wished to check again, it came out 110/80, the man checked twice and it came out same . The numbers were up and down within half hour!! I am so worried dont want to get into meds so i am walking for and hr in the morning, reduced the salt i take, i try to stay happy all day, eat healthy i amnot overweight, generally i am active lady but i am still unable to drop the numbers permanently !! Stressed out so much ! Any suggestions??

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

WORRY  ANXiETY will cause the erratic bounces.  These numbers are really on the marginal low edge (like high end of normal).  RELAX.  You are causing more stress by running from store to store to have it read.  Deep breath and do something else take a walk ,  read a book, work in the garden.  Watch a movie.  RELAX.. Someone suggested a home monitor.  IF you get one use it morning and night.  Do not be taking your bp every hour.  You will be okay.  Good luck!!
    • Posted

BP is usually higher first thing in the morning as the mind/body prepares for the day. My GP says that there is also a late afrenoon peak.
    • Posted

Mine is NEVER high in the morning after I wake up at its lowest.  It's low in the evening before bed.  It fluctuates during the day during the school year.  I work in an inner city school.

• Posted

Understandable that it fluctuates during the school day. A Waitrose delivery driver we often get gave up teaching as it was too stressful. 

How much of the stress is caused by school authorities having given up on discipline leaving no real way to control difficult pupils. Does the modern layout of class rooms not contribute to that ? 

When I left school in 1953 aged 15 there were 53 pupils in my class at a Scottish Senior Secondary school. All sitting close together in rows in full view and reach of the teacher. Of course we were streamed after our 11+ with other pupils of similar ability. Each year was divided into 9 grades. A1, A2, A3. B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, C3. I was in A3. Latin was in the curriculum for the A stream pupils and Greek if you stayed on to sit your Higher Leaving Certificae. There were two other grades of secondary school. That of course would not be allowed in this day and age. The lovely 1930’s building was later part of a university and recently converted into flats. 

Days like that might be a conversation topic for your common room:-) . Of course teachers then were all regarded as middle class with no left wing or Scottish Nationalist indoctrination of pupils. If a teachers union existed we never heard of it. There was school secretary, a nurse and a janitor and no other back up staff apart from dinner ladies and cleaners. Although now a comprehensive, community school it has kept Academy in its name.

• Posted

With you there Derek - although we're off topic. I'm 6 years younger than you (I think) as I was 9 in 1953. I passed the 11+ and went to a State grammar school, leaving at age 16. Best thing that could have happened to a kid like me coming from a pretty primitive, lower working-class background, as it broadened my horizons. No danger of that nowadays, eh?

• Posted

First day at school we started to learn the alphabet with Miss Crouser spelling out words on the blackboard ( another non PC word) It really was the cat sat upon the mat although I could read before going to school.

I actually spent part of the afternoon standing behind the blackboard as punishment for speaking to the pretty blonde girl beside me. Some people never change !

Our daughter passed the 11+ in 1972 and was fortunate to be given a scholarship to a (GPDST) Girls Public Day School Trust school.      

• Posted

A doctor said to look at my BP as the fuel in an aircraft engine as its usage changes from moment to moment depending on its need. That's what your body is doing. Only advice is to relax.

• Posted

Hey!

Thank u so much for such a heart warming messages from all of you !! I have calmed down a bit after reading all the mssages down there. I too believe it is fluctuating due to stress and anxiety. I am a woman with very negative thoughts. I worry a lot, think too much, get angry for small things and i get sad easily. I am scared of the worst. I still dont want to take meds and be healthy without them. I am going for ivf treatment after two months. Doctors will put me on hormone replacement therapy pills and taking those pills are not good when you have hypertension. I am so so damn confused !! I really dont want to get into meds so early! What do u all suggest, will the numbers drop and i will have notmal bp again ?

Thank u !

• Posted

Wow you must wear yourself out going from one chemist to another, it must cost you a pocket in fuel as well.

For what a monitor will cost you, about 18 dollars you can buy one, when you have one read the instructions, sit down on a dinning chair put the arm band on as directed, place both feet flat on the floor and rest your arm palm up on a dinning table at the side of you, remember to not over think this because going on your numbers you appear to have white coat syndrome, this is possibly commoner than true hypertension, forget about every thing, imagine you are sitting on a beech in the sun, relax for at least five minutes and then take it, if it is elevated calm yourself and wait a couple more minutes and take again.

I think you will find it goes down.

Stress/anxiety is the best thing for spiking your BP which is what your doing.

I suffer WCS and at home is quite normal 90% of the time.

I'm sure yours will be fine, also remember no eating or drinking or smoking or even going to loo for a number 2 prior to taking but don't have a full bladder, just shows you what small things can alter it.

Come back and tell us how you get on, also 120/80 is the goal to aim for but 139/89 is pre hypertension if its constantly that figure or higher.

• Posted

Thank u Alex!!

I surely will stop going to different chemists for bp check. I also would like to know which monitor box is better digital or the hand pumping one !!

😊

• Posted

Hello everyone !!

I went too see my doctor today and the bp was 120/80 in both hands. I told her how how bp was fluctuating normal to high and high to normal. After listening to me and checking my bp she told me that my bp was not really a matter of worry. Dont have to take meds and stop worrying about it. She also said it must be white coat hypertension that is making my bp spiking .

😊

• Posted

Well there you are then!cheesygrin

You clearly don't have hypertension, so you can set that worry aside. However, I'm a bit concerned about something you said about yourself in your previous post, and I quote: "I am a woman with very negative thoughts. I worry a lot, think too much, get angry for small things and i get sad easily. I am scared of the worst."

Speaking as a former nurse, I can only say this isn't a good place to be - for anyone in any circumstances - but particularly not if you're about to undergo the serious hormonal assault of preparing for IVF. The hormonal changes alone will put huge strains on you, both physical and emotional, and the emotional ups and downs of the IVF process may add further to these.

Also, speaking as the daughter of a woman who perfectly fitted the description you give of yourself, I'd urge you to think about the impact this will have on a child. Having a baby never fixed anyone's anxiety problems! My poor mother was born into a deprived, working-class family in 1917, so there was never any chance of her getting treatment, or even a diagnosis, for her life-wrecking condition. You, however, have all the advantages of living in the 21st century, where anxiety can be addressed.

Is there any way you can defer the start of your IVF by a few months? It sounds to me as if you really need to get some help for your underlying anxiety before you embark on this. Can you discuss this with your doctor at the fertility clinic? I'm not in favour of medication for anxiety, unless it's on a very short-term basis (like two weeks just to get treatment started) but CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) can be very helpful. You do, however, have to find a properly qualified therapist. A lot of quacks have jumped on this particular bandwagon in the past few years.

I hope you can find a solution to your anxiety problems and wish you every succes with your IVF when you do decide to go ahead with it.

• Posted

Dear Lily....

First of all thank u for ur concern !! I am glad i joined this forum and got to know u all. I am so much positive after i read the messages u posted to help me out. I was diagnosed with premature failure when i was 30. Since then I have always tried to keep myself strong and motivated. I easily get upset and very easily get inspired and happy again. The biggest problem i have is i worry too much! Dont know how to control worries ! Any help lily ?

• Posted

CBT or the more recent D(for dialectic)BT is the treatment of choice for anxiety. However, since you're clearly someone who recognises you're suffering from anxiety, which is far from being the case for all anxiety sufferers, it's possible you could work on it yourself.

As you obviously realise, worrying isn't a virtue. That might sound obvious, but many people who worry too much - and especially women, I regret to say - actually think it is! That was certainly true of my mother. If anyone told her she was worrying too much, she'd fly into a self-righteous rage and scream: "Well, someone has to!"

This isn't the place to go into my childhood, especially as it all happened 60-70 years ago, but I'll give you an example of how far anxiety can escalate. My mother actually kept me out of school for seven months when I was eight. This wasn't because I was being bullied or anything like that but because we'd just moved house. Up till then I'd always been able to go home for lunch, so she'd never been parted from me for more than three hours at a time. The new location meant leaving home around 8am and only returning at 4pm. I was up for it, but my mother wasn't. I had to undergo endless medical and psychiatric examinations because of my mother's various (false) claims that I was suffering from travel sickness, a weak chest or "nerves", which prevented me from travelling to the new school. After months of legal threats and fights with my father, she finally managed to get me in at a very inferior nearby school half an hour's walk away, which meant I just about had time to come home for lunch.

My mother clearly loved me - quite obsessively in fact - and I survived, like we all do, but growing up in this overcharged atmosphere, not to mention dealing with her outbursts of terrifying, uncontrollable rage, wasn't always easy.

Sometimes it's possible for people to "think themselves" out of anxiety or depression. I managed this after suffering five years of severe depression in my mid-20s, which the psychiatrists only made worse. What worked for me was being brutally honest with myself, especially about my motivations. I also realised I'd developed a victim mentality (hardly surprising in the circumstances!) However, the process is different for everyone. If you can't get CBT, or even if you can, I'd suggest looking into the topic of mindfulness. To reduce it to its simplest form, mindfulness is about dealing with what's going on now, rather than agonising about what might go wrong in the future or what we should have done differently in the past. We have to plan for the future and learn from the past, but we can only exist in the present moment. I would, however, advise against some of the recent commercial enterprises that have sprung up claiming to teach mindfulness and charging a lot of money for courses. As a general rule, the more they're charging, the less useful the training will be!

One way or another, I think you need to try and get a handle on your anxiety so you - and hopefully, your children - can have a fulfilling life. I really believe you're capable of doing this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.