worried about my heart? not sure what to do

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello all,

i would like to start this off by saying i’m a relatively “healthy” looking 17 year old, i am not obese/overweight - however i don’t have a great diet and i try to rectify this by going on healthy diets avoiding crisps and chocolate and the like but i always fall back. i would go walks everyday to school and recently i have went longer walks because i no longer do compulsory pe at school but i don’t think it’s enough and i can’t bring myself to start a proper exercise routine. i want to change this but i find it very difficult to stick to something like a diet program without getting hungry all the time or an exercise routine without wanting to stay in bed all day especially weekends 

i went to doctors recently about weird occurrences in right side of my head like pain behind my right eye constantly, headaches, pressure, whooshing sounds of my pulse in my right ear only when turning head to left and wearing earphones, so i told them about this unusual right sided pain as it never happened on left side, ever. doctor said it was blocked sinuses and gave me spray and it actually helped quite a lot! don’t have any leaky noses anymore or tearing eyes, i was essentially having a perpetual cold and it was helping it. went to opticians just to check eyes like with the hot air balloon test and pressure test, they found nothing except blisters in my eyelids emphasising that it was worse in my right eyelid which made sense because of the specifically right sided pain. eyedrops also helped specific eye pain.

however i still have worrisome problems that have come up.

i still have pain in my right side of head and two absolutely terrifying instances happened to me. one in my home and one in school. i was sitting on my bed watching youtube videos when a sudden pang in my head right side struck behind the eye and was extremely severe and agonising. i felt like i was being stabbed in the head. it travelled all the way to the back of my head right side and kept pulsating. after 15 seconds it was gone. my right eye was tearing up. i checked eye in mirror nothing out of ordinary just wateriness. i was so scared and shocked and i went to bed for rest. when it happened again in school i knew it was coming because the exact same kind of stabbing burning pain was arising in my right eye. it was while my english teacher was talking to me and i was so upset because i couldn’t even concentrate on most of what she was saying. then again, it went away as soon as it came about. 

this is amongst chest pains. when i breathe in deep or move my torso quick the left side of my chest underneath my breast it’s a very sharp pain. when i lean backwards it’s like a relentless burning pain, again on left side. i thought that it might be indigestion but it will be random and not after eating. worried it was heart related i checked my heart rate resting and it was obviously fast as i was panicking after these pains, but later in school i realised i was quite

relaxed and i measured it and it was 100 roughly resting. sometimes it is irregular i.e pauses in between beats. it is so inconsistent however, i will sometimes feel it and it will be slower like 70 but then the moment i feel it it suddenly speeds up. 

i also have seemingly constant shortness of breath, even when just sitting. during my walks after school i will be very short of breath. it’s as if i cannot get enough air in with my regular breath ins alone. something to add, i have noticed blue fingernails at the base, not just when it is cold as it happened when i was in the shower. it is as if my body cannot regulate my own temperature because my hands and feet will be absolutely freezing but my legs and arms and torso very warm, and then they’ll swap. i will randomly get hot flushes on my face when doing nothing no embarrassment. 

i have some weird kind of perpetual cold as mentioned before, runny nose and eyes have gone away since nasal spray, but i have constant phlegm even when i get rid of it like cough it out, sorry for image lol. i am thinking maybe this is a chest infection of some sort? which would explain phlegm, shortness of breath and chest pains and general weird feelings in chest. however this does not take into account my heart rate and my severe right sided headaches.

there is a worry at the back of my mind that all of my symptoms are heart related as i have not cared

about my diet and i don’t exercise much except for walking, i am sitting down most of the day. i am worried that my heart is struggling, and the pains in my head are related to it somehow. i am scared i am going to have a stroke or heart attack because of these problems. 

my question is what to do as i have been to the doctors so much. i hve already told them about my right hand sided headaches just not the new severe ones. i have complained of heart worries in the past and they’ve told me not to worry at my age. 

i am nervous to go to doctors again because i do not want to take up a slot someone else may need more. i am worried there is nothing wrong and i’m taking it out of proportion. i don’t know if i should maybe talk to NHS 111 but i have heard that they aren’t actually very good. my parents also play a huge role, my dad keeps saying i’m a hypochondriac (which i don’t disagree with lol) but they keep saying that i’m fine and get quite annoyed by me voicing my concerns so i can’t turn to them, i have stopped talking to them about problems. i know i should go to doctors but i’m so unsure about it all now because of the amount of times i’ve been and the amount of times i’ve been sent back with nothing threatening. i have vitamin d deficiency and that’s about it that’s all they found in a blood test

thank you so much for reading this it kind of got out of hand lol, if you have any advice please tell me. thank you x x 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It almost sounds like anxiety. I can tell you the swooshing in your ear that sound like your heart beat is pulsitile tinnitus because i have it. It sucks. If your worried go to the doctors who gives a s**t if you take up a slot. Its your health and you know your body. I always paranoid about my chest pain come to find out i had a pulmonary embolism. Also found out i have a small heart problem. Not saying this to.scare you but always good to get checked out but im also 36. Still young for these problems tho.
    • Posted

hi samantha thank you for your reply and I hope you are doing well!! I have been very busy lately and haven't been able to get on but in the mean time I have went to doctors and they discovered I have a heart murmur and acknowledged irregular heartbeat and I will be sent a letter regarding getting an ultrasound of my heart soon. thankyou for encouraging me to go to the doctors smile I will make a full post about heart murmur

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.