Worried about my Liver and feel like I need someone to talk with :(

Posted , 10 users are following.

I should start by saying I'm a 38 year old male in pretty good shape and excercise very regularly. I'm a non smoker and only drink alchohol on special occassions (christmas etc). I surf as often as possible and cycle a lot too. I will however admit that my diet is not the best and I do have a sweet tooth.

Roughly about 2 years ago I started getting severe heartburn whilst surfing. It got so bad at times that it would hurt so much just trying to take a breath. I also noted that after surfing I would have pain on the lower right of my rib cage which would last a couple of weeks. I went to the GP and was told I had acid reflux and prescribed Omeprazole. Also I have been finding it harder to hold my breath for long whilst surfing.

Anyway, I noticed about a month ago that I was getting the pain without surfing. I would describe it more as a dull ache under the right of my lower rib and also I started to get a new ache/pain in my lower back on the right hand side. I also noted that I had lost about 1 stone in weight within 5 weeks. I have not had any heartburn for months though so I went to the GP. He examined me and concluded that because my tummy wasn't sore when he pushed it and I have not been getting heartburn, that it isn't a gall bladder isuue. He sent me for blood tests and a chest Xray aswell as a urine sample. Everything came back normal except for my bloods which were normal except for something liver related was raised. I have been asked to go back for further blood tests and am awaiting an ultrasound scan of my Liver and Kidney.

I have had a day or two over christmas where I don't really feel any aches or pains and I've also gained about 5 pounds in weight in 10 days. Other than this issue I'm having I generally feel great and healthy and full of life. I can't stop worrying though that I might have cancer or something else serious as everything I read points to that. I have been going out of my mind with worry and feel so lonely despite having a great wife and four fantastic daughters sad Sorry for the long post, I just needed a way to try and clear my head.

var fctb_tool=null;

function FCTB_Init_b5ae87d2e09346e3bdd5b4b38a93872d(t)

{

fctb_tool=t;

start(fctb_tool);

}

FCTB_Init_b5ae87d2e09346e3bdd5b4b38a93872d(document['FCTB_Init_257d6da5de6248fcb7bd83796283004d']); delete document['FCTB_Init_257d6da5de6248fcb7bd83796283004d']

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It can help to write down your concerns.  I only know about haemochromatosis (which affects the liver) and I hope your doc tested your Iron Studies - don't assume they test "everything".  If he has not, ask him to - remember IRON STUDIES - not just iron.  Check the results, and if you do not have copies, ask for them, each and every time so you can self evaluate too, if only to see the results in black and white after your doc visit.  When you go for your ultra sound of your liver/kidneys, ask at the desk for a hard copy of the report for yourself too.

Your wife will be worried too but she won't want your daughters to feel it.  It is unnecessary at the moment.  The fact that you are being investigated is more reassuring.  If they did not bother, that would be most unsatisfactory and worrying.

When you find out what the problem is, search for a support association so that you can talk to others with the same problems and get appropriate information.  They might even have support group meetings.

Just remember, most things can be fixed these days but you might have to suffer the treatments for a while.  I saw my husband through Hodkins Lymphoma and he survived and I have had all the consequences of late diagnosis of hereditary haemochromatosis.  You will survive too because you will want to.  And besides, it is too soon to worry!

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the advice Sheryl, I must admit I did feel better getting it down in writing. I'll be sure to ask about testing my Iron studies too. Searching for a suppport association seems like a great idea, thank you. I'm really pleased about your husbands great recovery and wish you both good health and all the best for 2015. I'll try not to worry so much, it's the waiting that makes me anxious.

var fctb_tool=null;

function FCTB_Init_981ad2806c904bfb99ae47c7ced2cd50(t)

{

fctb_tool=t;

start(fctb_tool);

}

FCTB_Init_981ad2806c904bfb99ae47c7ced2cd50(document['FCTB_Init_3b463293b3134fba9280245cc75e89c0']); delete document['FCTB_Init_3b463293b3134fba9280245cc75e89c0']

• Posted

Hi Lee, I was wondering how you went with your ultra sound and any other tests.

• Posted

Hi Lee.

I worried and anxiously waiting since May 14 when I had blood test came abnormal lft and ultrasound scan showed something wrong plus have been diagnosed under active thyroid and menapause too being referred to surgeons but haven't heard a thing and keep going back to my doctor telling referal hasn't responded yet.

I'm worried about this. Plus having intense pain under my ribs on the right round top of my stomach. It takes my breath away and I can't breath in or out. I live alone and get scared. I also suffer from PTSD & anxiety. Going to visit my doctor later today if I can get in the see them. Hope you don't have to wait too long Lee.

• Posted

By the way hi I'm new in here.
    • Posted

I have not had the ultrasound scan yet, it's booked for this Friday. My 2nd lft showed an improvement and the pain/ache in my back is still there but since eating less fat it is much improved.
    • Posted

Interesting - gall bladder is usually affected by fat consumption.  Also ask them to eliminate the possibility of Helicobactor Pylori.  It can be a breath test (fasting required) - not always successful or an endoscopy and biopsy.

An easy one to fix with very strong antibiotics.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that della, Keep at them with regards to your referrel. I know what it's like to worry but I find posting here gives me some kind of comfort.Keep us updated with how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi, I know how you feel.I have just had ultra Scan, blood tests. Results show fatty liver.just having blood tests do again to check.

I am really worried I don't drink or smoke.

I gave uncomfortable feeling below right ribs and top of my stomach.

• Posted

Hi Holly,

I am in the same boat as you are :-( I am going crazy worrying my liver blood work was off the chart scary ...My Dr. Orded a bunch of blood work just waiting and I go in for my ultra sound on ths 6 th. I am in good shape don't smoke occasionally drink .My Dr. Did a hepatitis panel on me and it came back Negative he wanted to do liver biopsy but I chose to wait for my test results all to come back before I decide what direction to go .

• Posted

I have had blood test and scan shows fatty liver.I am awaiting results of second blood test - hopefully today.

Thank you its good to be able to talk to someone .

• Posted

Holly has hour Dr. Gave you any advice what as this means should we be worried why's going to happen or what to expect?
    • Posted

Dr just rang and said my tests are a bit better and I have to have then done in 4 weeks.

I asked what can i do, she advised to have health diet,I don't need to loose weight.

The main thing she was concerned about was if I drank alcohol I should stop.

I don't drink

I was worried about statins I am taking but she though I needed them and doing more good to me.

She says it's important to take blood test in 4 weeks.

It could turn into other liver problems.

and I have to be monied.

she told me not to worry because I'm worrying about what could happen .

I have a uncomfortable feeling on my right upper abdomen and around my back.

But you do worry I've felt worse with worry.

Hope your tests go ok.

I'm going to try to cut sugar out of my diet.

yesterday I met a friend who as a fall liver and had it years.

• Posted

Yes it did.that's what really got me worried.I have had discomfort in my abdoman right side and round my back.

• Posted

Did the ultra scan detect fattly liver ? Or was it a combination of tests to determine that diagnosis?
    • Posted

Ignore the previous, I just saw your reply stating the Us showed fatty liver. Posts are all over the place here smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.