worried about ovarian cyst or cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i've been having quite a lot of symtoms that either point to ovarian cancer or a cyst, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. 

My symptoms are : lower back pain, abdominal pain, bloated, irregular bleeding, feeling full after eating a tiny bit and feeling sick.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

Hello,

I think you should definitely see a doctor if you haven't already. The last thing you want to do is diagnose yourself which could create unnecessary stress.

Before I my doctor told me I had a dermoid cyst, my symptoms were pain in my pelvic area and right side of stomach, irregular menstrual and frequent urination. I also gained 8lbs and was always bloated. I had a 7x5cm cyst on my right ovary.

Definitely schedule an appointment to get clarity. The sooner the better because cysts will continue to grow. I hope all is well.

• Posted

I've been to the doctors a few times and they scheduled me for an ultrasound but its not for a few weeks. I went to a&e a few times, because i was in so much pain and they just told me 'its just bloating, take gaviscon and go home' 

• Posted

Yes, I wouldn't accept the second advice. On top of the ultrasound, I also had an MRI done. The first doctor I went to looked at the results of the ultra sound and told me not to worry, that whatever it was it would go away on its own. Yes, she didn't know.

Luckily I switched medical insurance and saw a second doctor who told me I needed surgery. So, you may have to request an MRI as well since it gives a better picture.

• Posted

when I went to the hospital I went to two different ones, and begged for a ultrasound but they wouldnt give me one, they did my blood tests but thats it. I think it's because of my age, i'm only 23 so they don't think it could be anything serious. 

• Posted

Oh wow that's something. I was 24 when I had mine done..recently just turned 25. I really hope they find out what it is after the ultrasound. Have you had any issues having a bowel movement? That can also be a cause for the pain.

• Posted

having no issues having bowel movement! my doctor said its IBS, but I don't think all my symptoms are due to that. I'm just worried because I have all the signs of ovarian cancer

• Edited

Hi honey, please go & see your doctor, ensure you ask for a full health check. I have all the symptoms too, but apparently I just have s fibroid. Relax & try not to worry. I know it can be scary. Big hugs x

• Posted

Hi Lucy, you're very young for it to be ovarian cancer! It's probably a cyst, most likely dermoid as young women and girls seem to be the ones who develop dermoids. Symptoms similar to the ones you have, my grandaughter had one and it was successfully removed and everything is now functioning normally. Ask your own GP for a referral after the scan if it shows one up. CA 125 above 35 does not mean you have cancer but could be when you ovulate if you do have cysts. Be firm with GP's and insist on further investigation. There seems to be a policy of wait and see with cysts among other things. Probably because all the NHS hospitals here in UK are on tight budgets as you most likely are aware of. Just persist and try to be patient until your U/Sound appointment comes through. I had to wait about 3 months because of local waiting lists. If your docs thinks it urgent they will put you on the 2 week, urgent list. Go to the top of this page and look under ovarian cysts, lots of info there if you browse a bit. Good luck, x rolleyes

• Posted

Hello, thank you! I know it's rare for me to have it as such a young age, but have read stories of others having it young too!

My ultrasound is in 2 weeks, but I'm in absolute agony with the pain, and it's really worrying me, but I don't want to keep bothering a&e.

• Posted

sorry lost that one! A good pharmacist will help you find a pain med suitable for your pain if you ask at the counter to see him/her. Soon be two weeks time. rolleyes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.