Worried about Pancreatic Cancer

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there

As the title suggests, i am really concerned about Pancreatic cancer. I am 35 years old and in the past few months have started with some very strange symptoms:

March - Kidney area pain and dry mouth.

Tests: Bloods- all normal including Diabetes.

April - Pain under ribcage, both sides. This pain is always there but is more of a discomfort than a pain. It sometimes radiates through to my back but remains constant to the current day.

May - itching, all over the body but mostly on the scalp and face.

Tests - abdominal ultrasound of kidney, bladder, prostate, gall bladder, liver and pancreas. Results were all normal and the sonographer commented that it would be the most straightforward report to write all day.

June - symptoms persist so more bloods taken including liver function, thyroid function, u&e's, amylase, celiac test etc. All results normal except for two slightly raised liver function tests for total serum protein and serum albumin.

From what i can gather, the abdominal pain, back pain and itching all point to pancreatic cancer and there is semingly nothing else to explain these particular symptoms. Naturally i am petrified.

My GP is unconcerned and sees no reason to refer me. His comments were, 'I have an NHS budget to manage and i cant send everyone for scans. As you dont display any major red flags, i see no reason to send you'. I asked him about the causes of my symptoms and he suggested 'medically unexplained symptoms' which is surprisingly high as a percentage of all GP visits.

With my fear growing and a GP who wont refer me on ( i paid for the ultrasounds privately) i am consciois of what to do next.

Is there any logical explanation for these symptoms other than Pancreatic cancer? and if it is this, what action should i take next?

I have a young family and am aware of the importance of early diagnosis for pancreatic conditions.

If you have any thoughts, please help.

James

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi James, 

Any updates? I’m experiencing symptoms very similar to yours and like you, Dr. Google has me completely terrified that it could be pancreatic cancer. It’s been a couple months since your last post...are your symptoms better now? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.