Worried about pap smear

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a pap smear done 2/6/18. Today (2/8/18), I got a call from the obgyn's office about a couple of hours ago and was scheduled for another appointment to discuss my results (they won't discuss it over the phone) in 5 days (2/13/18). Their office protocol is they will call if it's abnormal (the lady didn't say anything about "abnormalities" but it can be assumed that it is so). They could have gotten me in sooner (2/12/18) if I were available, but I have work that day.

Has anyone ever had this experience? To have a pap smear result this fast? I feel like my case is so bad it needs attention immediately. And I have never had any abnormal pap smear results before. This would be a first.

I guess I am in shock right now to the point that I feel numb about all this. And of course, expecting the worst.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well the good thing about your situation is that you've been going for your smear tests (in the UK 1 in 4 women don't!). So IF you do have any significant problems they will be dealt with a lot earlier and less traumatically than if you were to present, for example, on the basis of symptoms. Fear of the unknown can play havoc with our imaginations. I'm not sure what to read in to the speed of your results: perhaps your system in your area is very efficient.

• Posted

Thanks for replying! I appreciate a calm and sound thought on this manner. And you are right, it's just I can't help but worry about it, even up to the point that I am already formulating my last will in my head lol. It's a little hard to smile today, even a fake one. Tuesday can't come sooner.

• Posted

Jup I'm sure you're really worried but it's worth remembering that even if cells are abnormal they can go back to normal on their own. It may well be that you're just asked to go back later for repeat smear. The main thing though is your HPV status. HPV positive there's a very small risk you'll go on to develop cervical cancer. However most women clear the infection really quickly with no problems. Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Thank you for your thoughts smile Right now, it is just putting me in a state of panic because technically, I shouldn't be dealing with this kind of problem considering I only have been with one partner all my life (we have been together for close to 3 years). However, his history is opposite to mine. If I was a "nun," he's like a "dog." I'm sorry of the bad analogy, and I don't mean it if I offended anyone. I can't barely form proper sentences the past few days.

The only bright side to this is, he tested for STDs last July 2017 and all came back negative. While I, on the other hand, am tested (for my annual) for the past 2 years, and they're all normal. This is my first call back.

My bf couldn't even sleep because of worry. He's already blaming himself despite his fidelity coz afterall, HPV is not included in his bloodwork check last July 2017.

Anyway, thank u for replying. I just need someone to talk to to put my mind in a little bit of ease. I don't why I am acting like the apocalypse is coming lol. I really hope i am just overreacting xD

• Posted

Don't beat yourselves up about the hpv thing. It's a hard one to avoid. Even skin on skin non-penetrative sexual contact can result in infection. According to Cancer Research UK about 8 out 10 of us will be infected at some point in our lives. As KittyKatty has said most women will naturally clear the virus. Tuesday's on the way.

• Posted

Yeah if your up to date on paps and not experiencing symptoms. Im sure its just minor changes. I had my pap on oct 1 they gave me my results in 7 days they were normal but my heart pounded cuz i heard it takes 2 weeks
    • Posted

Thanks Erika smile I really hope you are right. Your thoughts are ideally the best outcome, and I am hoping for that smile Thanks for your thoughts, it calmed me down smile
    • Posted

Ill will recommend you to try immune boosters and eat better so your body fights the infection faster

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.