Worried about partners drinking.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im worried about my bf of 5yrs drinking habits. He doesnt drink often, normally just one night a weekend but its how drunk he gets that worries me. He doesnt know his limit and tends to get extremely drunk. If it was a once off i wouldnt mind but it is every time he drinks and it really upsets me. I dont enjoy going out ot pubs with him or being in his company when he drinks as he totally changes and then tends to get very messy. There has been instances where if we are out together he will get so drunk and just decide to go home - without telling me of course so i am left out on my own and have to pay the whole taxi fare home etc. He has also gotten into a good few fights over the years - that would never have happened if he wasnt drinking.

He knows it upsets me and says next time he will drink less and take it easy but he never does.

An example being that one night we had planned to stay in and watch a movie but one of his friends text asking him out. He decided to go out and promised he would take it easy and be home before 2am - he didnt arrive hom until 20 to 6 and his phone was dead so i was obviously worried sick all night - this happens regularly and he never arrives home before 4am when he goes out with his friends - and is usually in a very drunken state by then and passes out on the couch.

He has now agreed that it is not right and he doesnt mean to upset me and has agreed to get some sort of help - should he give up drinking altogether or is there a way he could learn to cut down and get to know his limit and so we could go back to enjoying nights out together?

If he was to give up drinking altogether (which i dont think he would), i would be there to support him every step of the way as i myself am not a big drinker anyway.

I would appreciate any advice or help - please.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

You've spoken to him which is the first step and he's agreed to be better.Let him try first before seeking any other help?Also If you search this forum for the word Selincro ,it is a drug used to cut down exessive drinking .Almost impossible to get under NHS but can be bought online,good luck

• Posted

He may be a good candidate for Nalmefene if his GP is willing to prescribe it. Search 'nalmefene' on Google and have a read. It basically helps people who have a tendency to overdo it when they drink. They take a tablet one to two hours before drinking and they feel a lot less of an urge to carry on drinking after one or two.
    • Posted

I didn't see Bibbee's comment before posting mine. Selincro and Nalmefene are the same thing, all drugs have an approved name and a brand name.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.