Worried about PE

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi 6 days ago i started getting sharp painful chest pain and this horrible wave of what felt like a adrenaline rush over came me and got all sweaty and clammy heart rate was high so i thought i would sleep it off. the next day was no better still the same felt very faint and dizzy and went to the hospital they just did a chest x-ray and took blood and did an ecg said i was fine and to go home. I still wasnt right and breathing was getting bad so yesterday i went to my normal gp and he just did another ecg was fine and did a d dimer test which was 0.19 he said its normal but i still feel really bad and have the pains and feel faint. What i wanted to know is it possible that i might have PE? How accurate are the d dimer test ? I should add im a 27 year old male and a smoker.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not sure an ecg would show blood clots in the lungs?  Mine were found via a ct scan.  One thing I've learned is that if you have sharp pain, there's a reason and don't give up until they find the cause.  
  • Posted

I had several ecgs and that was fine I think the d dimer is very accurate the test if higher than 200 that you have an infection or possible PE. Mine ddimer wad raised at 3600 and the diagnosed pneumonia and pleurisy but after a week of antibiotics the pains and breathlessness were still bad so another ddimer test showed my levels to be 8000! I had a ct scan which then showed multiple pe in both lungs. I think the ddimer are accurate.

I think you need to carry on checking with the doctor and as much as I hate to say it as I was fobbed off with this excuse. .... axiety attacks present in the same way. Pains in the chest and racing heart. However don't five up speak to your GP again.

Hope you get it sorted. ☺

• Posted

Thanks heaps for the advice. Im glad someone could finally tell me the ddimer test is accurate
    • Posted

You're welcome. I'm saying I think they're accurate as that was what my consultant haematologist went by when saying I could come off the blood thinners as my ddimer score had dropped to below 200.

Try not to worry I had a lot of other symptoms of PE other than the pain. But as we've all said if you are still not feeling well keep.going back to your GP.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Mine where found after a contrast X-ray ... But you must get advice and don't leave it as its so dangerous and needs sorting ASAP kind regards Linda 

• Posted

Had a contrast c.t scan 2 days ago and it came back normal. So now i can rule p.e out. Just dont know whats causing my chest pain now which is frustrating.
  • Posted

Hi,

As someone has mentioned the D-dimer is very sensitive. What you are descibing sounds very much like a panic attack, you may find discussing this with your GP very beneficial.

Best of luck,

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.