Worried about prostate cancer

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, for some time now I have had problems of urge incontinence. A year ago I had a prostate examination by a surgeon at a hospital where I was being tested for a rectal bleed, during which time the doctor described my prostate as feeling hard. I had a PSA test which came back normal,  I do no have any other symptoms but suddenly, one year later, I have begun to wonder if I should have gone back to get a further test because of that 'feeling hard' description. Any thoughts on that please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just becaues your prostate was hard does not mean you have a problem with cancer.  Your PSA was normal so don't worry.  If there was a problem the doctor would have asked for more test.  Ken

• Posted

Thank you Ken, very good of you to reply to my posting, Pip
  • Posted

if in doubt, get a second opinion from another Urologist.  Even though there may be nothing wrong, it might help ease the mind.
    • Posted

And thank you also vigneron - will take on board what you say. Thanks again Pip
  • Posted

I'm in agreement with Kenneth's assessment: hardness is not an indication, ipso facto, of anything cancer-related.  It does suggest potential problems if you are thinking of dealing with BPH, for example Urolift or iTind; these procedures can be less helpful with a hard prostate.

• Posted

Hi Pip,

It's probably nothing, the surgeon doesn't perform Dre's regularly. 

Unfortunately there really isn't a normal Psa. There are many Men with Pca (prostate cancer) and low Psa numbers. See a Urologist to rule out Pca. Good luck 

• Posted

And again. Many thanks guys, I will take on board what you all say. Thanks again
  • Posted

I was having urge incontinence as well as overflow incontinence due to my BPH.  My bladder was not coming even close to fully emptying when I had a natural void, and I had to stand at the toilet for long periods of time just to get out what I could.  But there was a lot more that wasn't coming out.  When I started self-cathing I was regularly retaining @ 500-600 cc.  That is how much pressure I had to have inside my bladder in order to even get out 50 cc or so.  If I would get up from the couch or so something else, like lifting, I would drip just a little bit from the effort.  Hard on the kidneys and stretches out the bladder and all that retained urine can lead to prostatitis.  CIC (clean intermittent catheterization) can releive all these problems while deciding what one wants to do with the help of a urologist.  

My GP also described my prostate as "hard, but smooth" I guess as opposed to having creases or lumps or something.  I think this is just what the surface of the prostate feels like when it gets swollen. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.