Worried about reinfestation with partner, advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

My partner contracted scabies from my friend when they slept close together (who was very contagious as he didnt know he had scabies for months). He started itching a month or so and had bumps on his hands a few weeks after this happened, however as our other friend's case was so severe and looked different we never thought it was scabies. We've recently realised that he must have contracted scabies and as I have been sleeping in the same bed as him for a month he has now given it to me. My partner unfortunately realised the day he flew off to America (last week), he is back next week but is struggling to get any kind of treatment out there. The signs have only just started showing for me - just itching and a couple of bumps, and given my situation the doctor has given me Malathion which i have applied once so far. I have one more treatment before my partner is back, which by then it should have killed the scabies. 

I am really worried, that as my partners case is a lot worse and he can't get treatment out there (so we can't be treated at the same time) that he will give it to me when he is back from his trip and it will keep going back and forth, despite being able to get treatment when he is back. 

We will abstain from sleeping next to eachother and i have bought a permethrin spray for surfaces. We will be washing our clothes/placing them in bags for several days and washing our bedding etc. He will be getting treated when home. Will it be difficult or easy to get rid of? Should i carry on with treatment even after the two weeks just incase? I'm scared that it'll go on forever when all i want to do is hug him when he's back but I'm not even able to do that! sad

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your partner can buy permethrin 5% cream or lotion over the counter. That's a good start.

I haven't had a hug for almost 2 years due to lice and scabies from travelling in Thailand. I didn't realise I had scabies for about a year. No itch - so no doctor will believe me. But now  I have plenty of photographic evidence. Only when I applied permethrin could I start to see the mites and tunnels - the mites change colour when dead. 7 doctors, a dermatologist and 3-4 pharmacists had NOT seen them when they were alive.

I strongly advise you to forego a few hugs now or you will be foregoing them for a much longer time. Focus on getting rid of these things - they take over and ruin your life. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you! Yeah you're right, better to avoid contact now rather than forever

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.