Worried about rom after 5 weeks post op TK R

Posted , 11 users are following.

My surgery was Jan. 25 TKR making me just 5 weeks post op. I was measured this week at 100 rom, got to 105 when therapist pushed my knee. I was -5 when she tried to straighten my knee. Have an appointment with ortho next week and worried that he willl not like my progress. My therapist said I am doing good. So worried about scar tissue being the problem, but I am doing the very best that I can do. I do not sleep well at all and spend the majority of the night on my recliner with a pillow under my feet. Can anyone relate to what I am going through? Getting really depressed and out of Percocet. Extra strength Tylenol not helping much. Trying 3 Advil tonight to see if I can get some sleep. Any comments would be welcomed!

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are NORMAL, on track and doing great! Cont to rest, ice, elevate. Your in the right forum. We've all been thru it. It gets better!!

• Posted

My bilateral TKR was 1/23 so we're both 5 weeks out. My therapist got me to about 105 in right knee (worst knee) and 110 in left knee with some pain on this past Tues and yesterday went to ortho appt and they were very happy with my progress. But they want me to get to 115 both knees. Ugh!! I think you're doc will be happy but remember everyone is different. I'm on Tramadol but trying to decrease because now I can take 600 mg ibuprofen. My sleeping is really off. Usually can't get to sleep and when I do only for maybe 3, sometimes 4 hrs because of discomfort!! I so want this to be OVER!!

• Posted

1. 5 weeks is waaaaay early in a year-long recovery.  Missed that?  Yup...this takes a year.  You're still a "Kneebie:

2. -5 / +105 ain't bad for 5 weeks...about where I was.  Then I got stuck at -4 for weeks and weeks.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus...which are THE WORST.  0 / +120 is the goal.  I'm at almost a year and I'm 0 / +133.  Took a lot of work.

3. Depression is absolutely normal.  Called "Post-Op Depression.  Docs don't tell you about it in advance.  It's discussed in the first post, below.

4. Get more Percocet.  Most people need the opioids for 30-60 days.  Not unusual and you CANNOT get addicted in that short a time.  Things like Advil are for waaaay later.

5. Sleeping is a problem for everyone.  Totally normal.  

Some of these may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Welcome to da club...

• Posted

You are very much on track dolores. Any ortho worth their salt would be impressed with your recovery as Im sure others here would agree. As for the sleeplessness -perfectly normal. Im seven weeks and just starting to spend a full night in bed. Like you, until the last few weeks, the recliner was a godsend. Keep up the good work and ice, ice, ice.

When your having a down moment, think of how far you've come in three weeks-sometimes it helps to focus our attention on what we've achieved rather than how far we have to go. Patience and a positive outlook are a must with this proceedure.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress delores.

• Posted

You are very much on track dolores. Any ortho worth their salt would be impressed with your recovery as Im sure others here would agree. As for the sleeplessness -perfectly normal. Im seven weeks and just starting to spend a full night in bed. Like you, until the last few weeks, the recliner was a godsend. Keep up the good work and ice, ice, ice.

When your having a down moment, think of how far you've come in three weeks-sometimes it helps to focus our attention on what we've achieved rather than how far we have to go. Patience and a positive outlook are a must with this proceedure.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress delores.

• Posted

Hi Delores

Everyone recoers at different speeds and you are doing really well.Im 4 weeks post op now. I think one of the main issues is the not sleeping , if you are tired then it makes everything a 100 times worse , im getting a few hours a night and totally shattered. Im not sure what other medication you are on but Fenergen helps with sleeping and you can buy this over the counter but obviously speak with the pharmacist. All i can say is keep going with your exercises , make sure you rest it and put ice on for any swelling and if you xan sleep any time of the day then do it. Good luck xxxx

• Posted

I am 7 weeks in. At your stage I was totally depressed which is so against my personality. I joined this forum because I was so exhausted and the responses have picked me up no end, and kept me going. Don't loose hope. Things do improve. Try and have a sleep during the day

i am still fighting, however I am suddenly feeling so much better. In fact I am Having my second TKR at the beginning of April

Good luck and best wishes

jan xx

• Posted

Hi

This was the same for me, I used bio oil on my scar, took hot baths and iced the rest of the time.

We are all different you are through the worst of it, just carry on doing things at a pace that suits you.

Between 8 and 12 weeks you should be sleeping much better.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi. 

My dearest wish is to have a bath. I am 7 weeks. How do you manage. I am frightened of easing myself in and then not having the strength to get out

regards 

Jan 

• Posted

Dolores, I too % can relate to all you said. I am 6 weeks post Tkr on Saturday (21 Jan) I have slept hardly any night. Initially I got the odd hour but lately think I do 2 hours then awake . I installed a second hand camper freezer beside my bed. As all my Surgeon kept saying was Ice,Ice,Ice. I put ice on it every couple of hours day & night. The "pain" is a dreadful burning feeling. I'm told after 6 weeks the pain starts to subside, & sometimes I think mine does a little. I notice it in little ways. My knee is STILL stiff & although I do the exercises it doesn't seem to bend much more, I'm dreading what the PT will say on Wednesday when I go, I just want it to feel better, get some good nights & get on with my life. But other friends on this thread are telling me I need to be more patient. Good luck to you too best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.