Worried about starting Gabapentin

Posted , 10 users are following.

My doctor prescribed Gabapentin about a month ago for my Sciatica. I have done so many things on my own for it to get better and it's not so I took one 300 mg pill last night. It did really help. But this afternoon I am still tired don't know if I should drive anywhere. I think I probably need to take it but worry about the side effects. . Don't know if I will be able to function at work. Can I skip a dose some nights if I have a harder job the next day or decrease my dose. I can't see how I could concentrate feeling like this.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

As far as I know the answer is no. You need to take this med as prescribed.  Yes it does that to you.   Make you very very tired where you want to sleep all day.  
  • Posted

Read the comments on this site before you get more involved with this drug. We've all been where you are now. If we had know more about it and I only speak for myself I would have never gone on it.

• Posted

You're right. I have read some terrible posts about the withdrawals. My sciatica usually will go away in 1 or 2 more months. It is just so hard because it keeps reoccurring

• Posted

When I have problem with sciatca I treat with a Chiropractor. I know it can be very painful.
    • Posted

Totally agree with you.

Its a horror story ,the withdrawal.

Been there. Took me months to get past that stage even after being off them for months

Tell cat lover ditch them while you're able

• Posted

Dear 🐱 lover, I know you’re trying to make an informed decision. 

Have you read the comments on this site called  “Gabapentin Withdrawal Horror?”

I didn’t go through withdrawals since the 2nd dose of the 300 mg capsule form caused me to have an adverse reaction. It caused me to develop a sudden onset of a movement disorder ten years ago.

I found another lady under the question “Anyone else having issues with uncontrollable eye movements with Gabapentin?” who developed daily episodes of stiffening muscles, called Dystonic Storms, after less than a month.  

I posted a video on YouTube called, Gabbing about Gabapentin, to help warn others about the dangers and how doctors will handle your case if you fail on this drug.

• Posted

There have been two recent studies released showing that gab does NOT work for back pain. Doctor's give this out off-label constantly. Please, do not start this drug. As you mentioned, sciatica will go away with PT etc. Yes, it's miserable, but this drug is worse. I can't believe that I now sound like those people who are doom and gloom and trying to use scare tactics. Here it is: Gab was approved for one thing, epilepsy, as it affects the brain. Later they felt it worked for PHN, Post Herpetic Neuraliga i.e pain after shingles (that's why I was given it), then in a very specific type of diabetic nerve pain, it seemed to help a bit. BUT, doctors did NOT understand the side effects and most still don't. They also don't realize the serious problems one has during withdrawal.

I couldn't drive for 3 months as they increased my gab. I eventually had to quit work as I still had the pain, but I had so much confusion, memory loss and cognitive issues that I couldn't do my job. Mine is a common story.

You can not take this like Advil, IF you take it, you need to take it as directed, as it a short half-life, meaning the length of time it takes to get out of the body. But ironically, once the body starts using it, it may take months before the side effects go away.  As stated, read other comments before you continue the drug.

If you stop with it, realize you may already have some slight withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, confusion and increased pain.

• Posted

Had debilitating pain from post herpetic neuralgia (Shingles outcome). Went through amitriptyline and nortriptyline first. they both whacked me out for most of the day. Nortriptyline to a lesser extent. But it stopped working after several months. Switched to gabapentin. Titrated up to 1800 mg per day over several weeks. Fatigue and sleepiness eventually wears off to a liveable degree after a few weeks. Stayed on it for 2 years.with good results. Then continued chasing zero pain and added a synthetic cannabinoid. Got messed up badly. Ended up hospitalised for an unrelated damaged femoral nerve and depression from a divorce. The treating physician cut off all my medication. My mind ending up clearing after several weeks and I've been pain free for 2 years. Pain and pain meds had messed up my mind. Was always foggy to a degree and was feeling pain that was no longer there. I prefer a good anti-inflammatory for sciatic pain. Have had good experience going this route. I'm just a very experienced patient, not a doctor but I don't believe in gabapentin for sciatica. Too high a price to pay. If your stomach can tolerate a good anti-inflammatory, I would go that route. There is a product you can take with the anti-inflammatory to protect your stomach.

• Posted

Brian, few people know that the ami and nortriptyline can cause the same problems that gab does. We seems to have some of the same problems with it. Also, I'm on a prescription NSAID and I think that, plus Tylenol and 4% Lidocaine/Aspercreme do as much or more than the danged drug, without side effects. I make sure I don't take too much Tylenol, as they keep lowering the recommendation for safe levels.

When you said "chasing zero pain", I don't want to go down that path and I won't. I hate pain as much as anyone else, but sometimes you have to accept that the cure is worse than the problem and work on acceptance, adjusting and doing things differently.

• Posted

CL88  I took it for years. Been off for 7mos an still have trouble with thinking, remembering, and emotions  

Wish I had never taken it.  

• Posted

I would read all that you can first before continuing this is a addictive drug it took me al least 8 months to get off and horrible withdrawal. Had i known then what I know now I never would have started it. I see a chiropractor now and get relief with him.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Also I think that the drug is worse than the pain I felt.
    • Posted

IKathy, correc. I've decided that now too. At one point, I said because I had such extreme pain from the shingles, I didn't regret starting it. Now I do. I really wonder how much the pain would have improved on its own without the drug. I've been tapering, slowly from 2700 back in January 2017, October 2016 was my shingles.

• Posted

No please dont skip a dose. The sleepy will go away. I'm on 3 pills a day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.