Worried about stomach cancer

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been experiencing stomach issues for about 4 or 5 months now. It started with having a stomach virus -24 hour bug- at the end of October. Then I had another (I assumed) stomach virus about a month later. Since then, my stomach hasn't been right. The nausea after that night of sickness seemed to linger and my stomach felt inflamed, like I was conscious of it being there. It felt better after I ate, and because I eat a lot and quite regularly, it was fairly easy to ignore. I figured that it would eventually sort itself out.

Then in February I went for a night out and drank about 6 alcoholic drinks over the course of the evening. The next morning my stomach felt bloated and strange, which spiked my health anxiety (immediately fearing cancer, and worried that I should have made an appointment earlier after dealing with this dull stomach ache for 2 months already). The doctor thought that the stomach viruses has disrupted and irritated my stomach lining, and prescribed a month of omeprazole and probiotics. I took the meds, and that week it felt like my symptoms were getting worse. I was started to get some crampy labour-like pain in my stomach that reminded me of when I had gallbladder attacks before I had it removed. But within a week, I was feeling mostly better. Still not quite right, but okay enough to not focus on it.

But then three weeks in, this crampy, aching pain in my stomach started up again and began to persist, occuring daily now for over 2 week's. I went back to the doctors and was prescribed another month of omeprazole and did a stool sample for h pylori (this came back negative). I saw the doctor again a few days later as the pain was getting so bad that I was really concerned. He told me to double my dose of omeprazole, taking it in the morning and at night. This doesn't seem to be making a difference, and in fact I now seem to be getting acid reflux symptoms in the last few days, which has me totally confused given the medicine that I am on! The doctor has referred me for an endoscopy, not sure when that is going to happen.

I feel like I'm in no man's land now, waiting for a date for my endoscopy. My symptoms seem to be getting worse and not better. I get pain in my stomach about 2-3 hours after I eat meals (except breakfast, I seem to be able to tolerate porridge well). I'm not eating much except soft and bland foods. I'm 30 years old, I have two small children and I am just so worried that something is seriously wrong!

Sorry for the long post. I guess I needed to get that off my shoulders.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Could be gastritis if your doctor thinks your stomach lining is irritated.  An endoscopy will show it up.  Ask for the appointment to be put forward since you are worried.  Cancer would be very rare at your age.
  • Posted

Please not worry ! I have stomach issues too since I was 5 yrs old and I’m here and I have stomach cancer in the family.  Endoscopy will tell you what it is . I had one in 2016 and I have a small hiatal hernia and a small inflammation in the duodenum  and GERD.  You know  food poisoning can linger for a long time . Hugs and the best for you 
  • Posted

If you have taken antibiotics then your gut flora is shot!  Eat greens and fermented foods.  Do you have pets?  If so, you may have parasites.  Google parasites and regaining good gut flora.  I know it will help.  Damn doctors don't tell you anything about that.  I had to learn all this on my own since I got the same as a lot of you do on this forum.  Chat me if you have any other questions.  Good luck!

• Posted

The endoscopy will be able to tell what’s going on. I had one when I was diagnosed with gastritis.  I thought for sure I had an ulcer but it wasn’t that.

Try to hang in there until then and you will have some answers.

keep as busy as you can so you don’t think about this all the time.

99% of the time the things we worry about don’t actually happen.

There are some great audio meditations on YouTube for anxiety and worry.

One is called detachment from overthinking.  Another is called mindfulness meditation guided 10 minutes. 

I wish you the best! 🌸🌸🌸🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.