Worried about strange noises

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had both knees replaced, one in 2016 the other August 2017. When I get up both knees make a horrendous grating noise like cartilage tearing.. Consultant said it was bone on metal. Trust me it is Defoe not that. When I bend knees it's ok it when I outstretched them it does it.everyone in room cringes it's so loud..it realy isn't bone on metal noise..it wakes me up ever night when I turn around..it's worse than they were pre op..Anyone else experiments this?. I don't know what to do about it..ime 59 and can't imagine having this on going pain. Ime even having to think about giving up my job as I work on shop floor 4 shifts 10 hours each..I can't express enough how loud it is..help !!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry can’t help have never had any noise from either of my knees , hope they can sort it out especially if both are now painful . Doesn’t sound right though and surely your surgeon saying bone on metal isn’t good , how is it bone on metal unless something has moved? I would’ve wanting a second opinion especially if same person did both 
    • Posted

Thank you Jenny I was bit worried about going to him as he's hardly going to criticise his own work.   

• Posted

Hi maureen . I occasionally have that . Sounds quite loud . But not in pain .Mentioned to surgeon but he didn't comment.have heard the prosthesis has to fully settle in place .

I only get sound now every now and then. To me sounds like bone on bone.

Speedy recovery

Linda

• Posted

I think I would definitely talk your doctor and find out. That doesn’t sound normal at all and especially if there’s also pain. Hope it gets sorted out soon. 
    • Posted

Thank you Jackie Rae.  Just a gut feeling I've got that it's not  a normal noise..ime not a doctor but that much of do know

• Posted

I heard that grating sound many times.  Bone on Bone.  But that was only BEFORE the TKR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.