worried about symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I have read this forum with interest, thank you all for your openness and willingness to help others.

I am a late 50's male and have suffered from LPR type symptoms for a year or two (hoarseness after eating meals or drinking hot coffee). My condition worsened a few months ago. At the same time as I caught a cold I developed a persistent cough , which has lasted several months. I also experienced a tickle in my throat or a slight feeling of wheezing which provoked the cough. Symptoms would always get worse later in the day although I never coughed overnight.

My cough has now settled down a bit (but not disappeared) but I still have the tickle and wheezy feeling occasionally . I have severe mucus and am clearing my throat all day, hoarseness has also got worse and I am hoarse most of the day due to the mucus. If that was it , then I'd be absolutely convinced I was suffering from LPR. (My doctor seems to be). However I have also seen some blood in my saliva occasionally, just a slither or two every couple of weeks (for the last 5 weeks).

Could this be caused by the reflux ? I am freaking out it may be something more sinister as google persistent cough and blood in mucus and we all know where that leads.

I have never smoked and have had a chest x-ray which thankfully was clear. I am awaiting an ENT appointment but that may take a couple of months to come through - meantime I am filled with catastrophic thinking.

I am currently taking 40mg of Omeprazole and Gaviscon Advanced.

From reading this forum I appear to have a diet that is not helpful for LPR ( I tend not to eat in the morning, and eat two larger meals - one mid-afternoon and one just before I got to bed ). Although I eat a low fat diet, I eat a lot of tomatoes and spicy food. Some dairy and processed food too so I realise that if this is LPR then I need to change my eating habits.

Although I realise no-one hear can make a diagnosis I am hoping you can help since I can't stop dwelling on the worst case scenarios.

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi sorry your suffering so bad yes I think you really need to make a big change to your diet and it sounds like some digestive problems to me, please try to adjust your meal times eat s healthy breakfast and eat lunch and evening meal early so no food after 8 PM cut out coffee I find that a big trigger and tomatoes and spices food I. sure you will feel better if you do, I'm not sure about the blood

• Posted

I suffer from Gerd which I believe is a more intense form of Acid Reflux. I take 40 mg of Pantaprazole daily and Gaviscon also. Don't adhere to the suggested diet adjustments and the mucous is very bad. A few times when I used to get in coughing jags (which would normally last all night) I had the odd sliver of blood in my saliva. My doctor at the time said it could be due to the coughing but not to worry unless it was a lot more blood and a lot more often. This was 5 years ago and the coughing part of the reflux disease has long since stopped. Trust me I have everything else associated with Reflux but not the coughing. Unless the amount of blood increases or happens often, I wouldn't be too overly concerned. You could mention it to your doctor though of course.

• Posted

Good morning,

I had a cough and it was suggested by a Dr. I had acid reflux for years and years. The cough was VERY severe I will be honest. The type where you could and I have been sick. Turns out after seeing another Doctor it's asthma. Now on a brown inhailer....no more symptoms or cough. Just saying..........

• Posted

Hi,

Wow that was some misdiagnosis by the first doctor. Do you mean you never actually had reflux? I've found that doctors don't seem to like dealing with reflux maybe because it CAN be hard to distinguish from other ailments. My acid reflux has had so many varied symptoms throughout, that even if my toe is sore I just chalk it up to reflux..

• Posted

Yes, I lived on gaviscon daily.......had a bottle on my desk which i just knocked back. I never take it now, just the inhailer.....

• Posted

hello. 3 months ago i did get a bad cold. for the first week i had a wet cough with green mucus which changed to white. i did not visit the doctor. the cold did get away and the cough turned to a dry one. this cough and especially this tickle in chest (which changes sides left right) stayed with me until today, 8 weeks now. i did also have reflux in the past. my tickle or cough never is bothering in the night. i can sleep perfectly. after getting up, lets say after breakfast, these sensations start. i am taking now Pantozol 40mg. For 4 weeks pulmicort inhaler. my cough definitely is a lot better. But this tickle sensation does not go away. i think its from refluxand will stay.

i was also in the ER. Had chest x ray all clear

how are you? any solutions? .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.