Worried about symptoms I've been getting. Can someone help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello peoples !

I was diagnosed by the ER coincidentally with a large adnexal mass/ovarian cyst measuring

After being discharged from the ER, I had a referral with an OB/GYN and based on the size and physical exam, she recommended surgery after completing and reviewing blood tests before the cyst got any worse, especially at my age (I'm hardly 18).

The surgery isn't even scheduled yet, I'm finalizing the plans with her in another appointment in a couple of days but I've been getting worsened symptoms.

Sharp thigh pain (comes and goes), sharp pelvic pain (comes and goes), abdominal cramps, diarrhea, frequent urination, one time sharp arm pain, one time sharp shoulder pain,chest discomfort, sharp rib pain.

None of the symptoms are unbearable but it is very very annoying as I'm sure you guys all know.

Anyone know what this could be? Could it be ovarian torsion (ER explained it to me) and should I call my OB/GYN right now?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey, 

I have a 11cm cyst and I'm only 23. 

I have the same symptoms and mine come and go. 

I got told to go back to a&e if I got sudden sharp pain which doesn't go (that's what I had at start of January this year and ended up in a&e - that's when I found out I had a cyst) but then mine twisted but it untwisted itsself.

I would try and not worry unless you get sudden sharp pain - but if you are worried which is understandable contact them or your GP.

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

My girlfriend is suffering with sharp pelvic pains and we have no idea what is causing it. It's difficult to get her to a Dr as she has agoraphobia but we're trying to get her an appointment soon. Just worried nothing will come of it.

Any advice? Thank you

• Posted

Hey @tashakawaii. On which side is the sharp pelvic pain? Does the pain come and go, did it come on suddenly and how bad is the pain on a scale of 1-10?
    • Posted

Sorry for the late reply!

It's always there, recently I think it was her right side but I think it changes. It gets worse around her period. She says the rest of the time its "numb". She also gets back pain and sometimes pain down her legs too.

• Posted

It does sound like it could be an ovarian cyst/mass to me. I had psimilar symptoms with mine. I would suggest seeing a GYN and request an ultrasound or pelvic mri if you can.

I hope she feels better soon !!

• Posted

Hi Jayeni,

I had all of those symptoms with my 8cm dermoid cyst. They really should be pushing for surgery as quickly as possible, as you should not be living with those symptoms even if they aren't dangerous.

That urination and that sharp rib pain...I feel you! The thigh and potentially the ribs is possibly referred pain. My mother is a nurse practitioner and explained my symptoms in a really clever way if it helps:

"Your insides are used to being in a certain place, and there's very little room for 'extra' foreign objects/masses to come to the party. It's possible for us to even feel a little peanut mass if it is pressing on a nerve or a neighboring organ." So while annoying and uncomfortable, sometimes it feels worse than it is. However, I would recommend calling your doc and getting that surgery scheduled ASAP. Torsion is not something you want (but you would know if it was happening for sure.) Once mine was removed I felt like a new human! xx

• Posted

How long did it take for you to have your op? I found out about my 11cm cyst start of January. I've had to have scans and they spoken to cancer team once already and they going back to cancer team this Friday so my op won't be til April x 

• Posted

Hey Holly!

Thank you so much!

The surgery hasn't been scheduled yet. My OB/GYN want's another MRI just so she knows exactly what's in there.

• Posted

Hey Kate*

I wasn't wearing my glasses and read that in the wrong order*

• Posted

Hi Holly,

(All under the NHS timeline...) I went in to see GP for pelvic pain about middle of August, got an ultrasound two weeks later, spoke to the cancer team two weeks after that (as a precaution and to take 5 cancer antigen tests). Wound up in the emergency room a week after that due to the symptoms. Surgery was scheduled for over a month after that. So from complaint of pain to actual solution: Middle of August to November 7th.  Stay strong and be positive! It's not a fun time and hard to be patient xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.