Worried about upcoming colonscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am scheduled to do a colonscopy at in a month's time and I am very nervous and frightened over the procedure.

I am looking for people who had previously done a colonscopy to share their experience.

My country does not practise general anesthesia for colonscopy, only sedation and it is very difficult, due to the culture and systems in my country

1. i wish to know, how does the doctor decide the level of sedation to give? I received a pamphlet on sedation but also worried about pain and discomfort.

I was reading up on sedation and it seems that the medicines used for sedation actually cause memory loss, I.e people are awake but they just don't remember anything. Is that true?

could you actually feel the scope inside your intestines?

Thank you very much to anyone who replies to me! 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I've had follow up colonoscopies and very little discomfort during the procedure. I don't know about any sedation but it was over very quickly. No polyps found but they can usually be removed at the same time. Have you considered a colonography scan? It shows other organs as well but of course any polyps can't be removed. I had one last month as a 5 year follow up and all is well. I hope you get replies that reassure you and with more information than I can give. Let us know how you get on and maybe talk to your Doctor about your concerns.

• Posted

Thanks, I had trouble talking to my doctor, the power distance is really there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.