Worried about upcoming L5 s1 discetomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi for about two years now I've had a bulging disc managed with pain killers and physiotheraphy glares ups would come and go then about 5 weeks ago I literally woke up and couldn't stand ended up in hospital for 9 days as I had abdominal pain also which went I got an MRI which showed a large herniated disc so I recon it's popped when I took it that few weeks ago pain was unbearable I'm booked in for the left l5 s1 discetomy next sat I'm terrified.

Just wanted to know so any of yiu suffere from a weak bladder due to the herniated discs? I've had a weak bladder for about two years and also has any of you had the referral pain into the lower left abdomen the pain in leg is terrible and also abdomen I'm constipated but wasn't to start with! I pray this works as I'm so depressed my fiancé and my kids are being dragged down also with this horrible pain I'm in the morphine and gabapentin space me out! God this is terrible 

I'm so scared, mum of 2, I'm 33 and generally fit and healthy apart from suffering from coeliac disease, answers much appreciated 

Thanks 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I waited 10 years after i had collapsed disc, had bladder and bowel surgery for prolapse some of which related to my disc injury, had a spinal fusion 2 weeks ago, and glad i did it because i had bad pain in my back but also pain down there which was related. Your bladder is proberbly related to yr disc problem as it is very close to that level and may improve after your surgery, your disc issue won't get better, and like you say your otherwise fit and healthy, i'm big and my surgery took 1 1/2 hrs minimal bloodloss and i'm mobile, bit sore but improving everyday.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply, I don't know if this referral pain is even referral pain... It's left side same as the disc.. Feel so miserable and pee constantly. Hope it all resolves soon 😡😡
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine57453

I too will have surgery on L4/L5 very large disc herniation in a couple of weeks. Initially I was also terrified but am now very calm as I have accepted that I have tried everything and it is now time for the surgery. Three things helped me to reach a calmer state of mind regarding the impending surgery; firstly, I sought 4 independant opinions and all came to the same conclusion that it is absolutely necessary in my case.. Secondly, I found out who the surgeon was and I researched his name on google and only came across very positive feedback about this surgeon and absolutely nothing negative. Thirdly, I found out few of my friends had undergone the same surgery after posting what was going to happen on Facebook and all have fully recoverred and lead active lives. There are also a  number of people on this forum who have had positive experiences. I am now just thinking of being in a post operation state and once again enjoying my life. I hope all goes well for you Lorraine. Miguel   

• Posted

Some of the symptoms you are decribing could be from the herniated disc. The nerves in the lower lumbar look after everything from the waist down. If you are taking any pain meds they could also be effecting your stomach or lower abdomen. Many people can't take morphine for those reasons. I know personally 4 people who have had this surgery and all four have said Halelujah!!! afterwards. The pain was, for my friends, gone as soon as they woke up after surgery (one had a little but it went away within 1 week). All are doing well after 6 months, 2 and 3 years respectively. I'm glad your suffering is short lived, 2 of my friends had to wait 3 months for their surgery here in Canada due to wait lists. A very hard 3 months in that kind of extreme pain. Be happy your going in soon and getting it over with. This is a fairly well done surgery as it has been done so much, with very few complications. Stay healthy before and after and you should recover well. Good Luck!!
  • Posted

I had a ruptured disc, but mine was in my neck. This was 12 years ago. Like you I dreaded the surgery. Let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever did. I understsnd that back surgery is harder as my neck surgery was the easiest surgery I've ever had. I now have a rupured disc in my lower back and my step mom and a few other poeple I know have been through the surgery, I would welcome it to get out of some of the pain I'm in. I say some because I also have spinal stenosis. I wish you good luck and prayers sent your way.
  • Posted

Thank you so much everyone this has made me feel so much better, I suppose I just keep thinking it'll get better on its own, IT WONT! I think I've forgot how it feels to not be in pain with my back, I'm sure my mental state will change also I'm a misery a lot of the time fur my fiancé and kids these days and that's not right, I've spoke to a few people also I kniw who have had it, most are positive one person leaked spinal fluid but it was rectified and she was driving a week afterwards therefore has now had it done 3 times! I will definitely look after myself afterwards, I simply couldn't put my family through what has gone on in the last two years and certainly 6 weeks!  Thanks everyone I genuinely really appriciate every comment! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.