Worried after 8 days of stapled surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there! I had a PPH surgery 8 days ago for type 3 hemorrhoyds. I feel better now and can walk quite well, but I do have a strong pain when passing a gas ans #2 in my rectum area, it is like a big pressure internally (not burning feeling, strong pressure in a point). My stool also has been narrower since the surgery. Im worried I could have anal stenosis.

Is is too early to diagnose it? My sympthoms are normal given the days after surgery?

Thank you very much!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

keep taking your stool softeners ok that is a plus ok. i had my done 3 years ago i feel great awsome awsome . but i still take my stool softer 3 times a week and i,m doing very well

• Posted

keep taking your stool softeners ok that is a plus ok. i had my done 3 years ago i feel great awsome awsome . but i still take my stool softer 3 times a week and i,m doing very well

• Posted

Over 2 weeks ago I had 3 grade 2 hemorroids rubber banded along with a large mucosal prolapse double banded. There doesnt seem to be much improvement but I'm scared of having the stapled hemorroidectomy which I will need as a last resort. Life is miserable with constant pain and discomfort from the rear end, but what is recovery from the stapled operation like and is it successful long term?

• Posted

Just wanted to share my experience as reading these forums both helped me and scared me as I prepared for surgery. I had 3 prolapsed, thrombosed internals removed 9 days ago.

I am a 33 year old female and began having hemorrhoids in college. Just an annoyance that Prep. H would help. A few years later I started having episodes of heavy, heavy bleeding occasionally. Had 2 big babies. Had some banded, but they came book very soon. For the past 3 years I have had near constant flare ups. The thrombosed hemmies that just throb and make you miserable. Had to wear pads everyday due to leaking mucous, liquid and a little poo after bowel movements every morning. As a busy mom and elementary school teacher it basically took my quality of life down to zero. I would occasionally have a good day, but they were rare. What I read online and heard from people about hemorrhoidectomies scared the crap out of me, but I finally reached my breaking point and scheduled it.

The first 5 days were very painful and I basically laid on the couch when I was not in the bathroom. BMs were painful and happened too many times a day, but pretty quick each time- lucky to not have constipation or diarrhea. I stopped my hydrocodone after 2 days as I was afraid of constipation, and it didn't seem to help much more than advil/tylenol. Ate lightly, drank a ton of water, continued my daily dose of Miralax & Benefiber that I've taken for the last year and added in 3 Colace (stool softeners)/day. I was also careful to never ever strain. I think I sabotaged my banding by straining due to pressure. You have to basically wait for your body to be pushing it out on its own.

By day 6 I felt better than I did before surgery. I was back to a regular BM schedule (once/day) which really helped. There is still a constant ache, but nothing terrible at all. Yesterday I felt really good and spent a lot more time on my feet, and I am more sore today. Overall though, it has been much less painful than I had been afraid of. It certainly wasn't fun at all, but I would do it again 1000 times over even if it helps for just a few years. I was in so much constant misery for years that I wish I had done this years ago. I'll never get that time back. I would take a week of intense pain over years of near constant pain.

If your hemorrhoids are not a big hinderance to your life, I would not recommend the surgery, as it is more major than many doctors make it out to be. But if they are frequently painful or causing major blood loss - just DO IT!! You will get through it and come out better than before. Every body and case is different, but I wanted to share a positive story that hopefully encourages some people. They do not come back for 95% of patients. I'm glad I was prepared for the worst, but so happy that recovery has been smoother than that. Best of luck to anyone suffering right now - hang in there!

• Posted

Thank you so much Mogedd for those encouraging words. I’m a middle aged female who was very active, running, walking, dancing, never stopping...until 6 months ago when literally my world fell out of my backside in the form of a rectal mucosal prolapse with juicy piles attached! Absolutely no idea what brought it on except a bout of constipation in the summer.

You have helped me make my mind up to go with the surgeon’s advice and have a stapled hemorroidopexy.

As seemed to be the case with you, to go back to the quality of life had before is the thing.

Thanks again, and I’m so pleased it worked out well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.