Worried after parathyroid surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to this: I had parathyroid surgery a week ago, after a malfunctioning parathyroid was identified by a nuclear scan and an ultrasound. I decided to go for the surgery because of advancing osteoporosis, not wanting to take the bisphosphonates etc. 

In the last couple days, I've experienced aching from my lower back down the backs of my legs. I haven't been back for blood tests yet to check PTH and calcium (although I know that the PTH had dropped after the op). I honestly can't say whether this is bone or muscle. It's hard to describe.. not pain, more of a generalized aching feeling (especially sitting, not as much standing).

I've started taking calcium supplements in case it relates to low calcium.

Worried now that this is my future because I was fairly asymptomatic before this op, and doing a lot of exercise. 

Has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sarah I had one parathyroid gland removed about 3 months ago. I feel much better now, but I did have several weeks of adjustments as body chemistry was out of whack. Takes time for Ca to stabilize. I had horrible stomach gas and reflux for a week or so. It corrected and I feel great. I know muscle and bone go through adjustment too but I did not have those problems. You should be on Ca supplements post op at least for a period of time to prevent hypo calcemic situation. 

Doctor likely will know once blood test is done. This disease wreaks havoc on body chemistry and it takes a little time to get ventually stabilize. I have heard some people take as long as a month. Good luck. Sounds like it may just be body adjusting to change of hormone drop after surgery. Hang in there 

• Posted

Thanks for that Kevin. I know I'm probably a bit too impatient, and I don't mind if it takes some time to get back to normal. I guess I was just worried I'd be worse than I was pre-op, when the op was supposed to be a positive thing! It'll take a week or so before I'm able to get blood tests so in the meantime, I'm taking the calcium as directed....

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Posted

I think you will be ok...had anxiety after surgery too as I struggled with Ca supplemts which wreaked havoc on stomach. It worked out and I fell 10 yrs younger 3 months post surgery. 

Remember the surgical success rates are well into 90th percentile. Also keep in mind it is not uncommon for a number of weeks to stabilize blood levels. Everyone is unique and different. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.