Worried and Need Info Please

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 33 year old single mother who has Lupus and noticed a lump in my right breast a few months ago. I dismissed it, thinking it may just be a hormonal issue, and never worried about it again... Until last month. I wasn't searching for it, my hand just brushed against my breast in the right spot and I felt it again. It was larger than I remembered, very hard, and doesn't hurt at all (unless I press on it a bunch). I decided then that I would make an appointment with the VA (I'm a veteran) as soon as possible. Well, a month later, I now have 2 more lumps around the larger 1st one. I'm extremely nervous because my immune system is compromised because of my Lupus and I give myself Humira injections once a week (which apparently makes me more susceptible to getting cancer). I would really appreciate any advice I could get. I have a mammogram on Wednesday and I haven't been able to get a good night's sleep since finding the other 2 lumps. Please help!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you have this worry. Unfortunately until you get your results, there isn't much to be 'done' 

I will say I was diagnosed with aggressive cancer 6 years ago, and still here! So please try not to stress too much, lots of very good treatment out there 'if' it is breast cancer. Are you going to a one stop breast clinic, where you get the results the same day?  If not please ask if you have one at your hospital/clinic.

A friend of mine has lupus she also has breast cancer,mi have never heard her say she was more susceptible than I was, but perhaps the conversation never came up! 

A very good helpline for you. Google, Breast Cancer  Care helpline, they have a forum, but most importantly they have a breast cancer nurse that you can speak to on the phone. She will hopefully put your mind at rest until your results are through.

hope all goes well for you on Wednesday. If the results are positive, I am admin for a very good breast cancer group on Facebook, you will find the information and support invaluable. But that is jumping ahead. Until now speak to the breast cancer nurse at BCC.

you can send me a pm if you want to talk privately, but until you have the results I am sorry to say the 'waiting room' isn't a nice place to be.

hope Wednesday goes as well as it can.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I am probably jumping to the worst possible scenario... I know I shouldn't worry so much but I can't seem to shake this feeling. The Humira injections I have been taking for years state that I am more susceptible to cancer taking them (I found that out the other day while researching the lump in my breast). I'm not going to get my results the same day as the VA takes forever to do anything... The waiting is probing the worst part since my mind will be all over the place. I really appreciate the information about the nurse and I will definitely call her in the morning. Thank you for helping me with information!

• Posted

Whereabouts are you ? Most places have a one stop bc unit now? 

Our minds always go to the worse case scenario! Hope your news is good,

please let me know.

if the results are not good, the mammo unit usually contact you with in 2/3 days,

• Posted

I live in North Alabama but I have to go through Veteran's Affairs to get any medical procedures. The VA is my health insurance basically.

• Posted

Breast Cancer Care is in the UK, not sure if you have similar in US?

As BCC are online, feel sure you should be able to message them in the UK if you cant find similar in US. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.