Worried daughter

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

My mum (46) had a "non urgent telephone consulation" with her GP today to discuss the results of her stool sample, it has shown some inflammation, from research im guessing this is calprotectin levels, dr said the levels were 110. So has put an urgent referral in for a colonoscopy, she's been advised to not be surprised if the referal gets rejected due to covid 19.

She has not experienced any bleeding or weight loss. She is extremely healthy and exercises daily, no family history of cancer, non smoker and only has the odd drink. The symptoms she is experiencing are abdominal pain and a change in bowel habits - faeces are normal but some days she seems to go 3 or more times and feels like she hasn't emptied her bowels and it feels like there's a mass down there. She has had a colposcopy not long ago, she has fibroids that are on the large size but aren't large enough to warrant surgery to remove them, she also is experiencing recurring UTI's / cystitis and has been prescribed various courses of antibiotics. Could these issues be related?

Does this sound more like IBD or bowel cancer? My mind has been going into overdrive all day and can't rest. I can deal with the situation if she is diagnosed with IBD, my dad already has ulcerative colitis but the last thing I ever want her to be diagnosed with is the big C.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi

don't be worrying. your mum hasn't bowl cancer. It's piles etc She didn't experience bleeding or bloating and even that doesn't mean she has cancer. my mother had bowl cancer 7 years ago, she is 80 now. she had bleeding for 2 yrs and was to embarrassed to tell her doctor. she had surgery and optional chemo and she is so clear now.

don't be worrying, your mum is young healthy and all is ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.