Worried High sugar levels

Posted , 8 users are following.

Basically i think i have diabetes and im worried so far i have no symptoms at all but my blood sugar was 7.9 2 days ago that worried me a lot so i fasted for 15 hours and only drank water bearing in mind i had barely any sugar the days before then after my 15 hour fast i had boiled eggs i then done my blood sugar which was 6.8 i then done it about 20 seconds later and it was then 6.9 i have no symptoms but i have a cold and apparently that can increase your blood sugar levels should i be worried? my fast was only water and i still hadnt had any sugar at all from 12am to when i done the test

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joshua,

If you haven't got any symptoms then I really wouldn't worry.

Guide line for blood sugars in the UK is between 4-7 (and 4-9 before bed) so yours is slightly high but as you have a cold this could well be affecting it.

Just see how your sugars are when your cold has gone and then if you are still worried ask your GP for a blood test.

Typical symptoms are unquenchable thirst, constant peeing, weight loss, fatigue, thrush etc.

Hope you feel better soon!!

All the best

Claire

• Posted

Yeah the only symptom i have right now is the dry throat and im guessing that is from cold nothing else not tired weight loss or anything like that i will still have the test done just to make sure because im a bit of a hypochondriac but i appreciate your help thank you.

• Posted

Hi

I suggest if you are concerned you arrange to have an HbA1c test done. This measures the average blood glucose over a 3 month period. A reading of 48 mmol/mol or above is Diabetes and is THE definitive test.

You are obviously doing the finger prick tests, which are usually done first thing, immediately before eating, 2 hours after eating, immediately before bed, plus if you get up during the night. So 8+ tests a day and very sore fingers. But they measure something different to the HbA1c and are used by diabetics to monitor the effect of certain foods, so we know what to avoid, or to help those taking insulin to calculate their needed dose.

Sugar is not the only culprit diabetics should avoid, but carbs - sugar is a form of carbs. So I am talking bread, potato, rice, pasta, cereals, fruit juice, as well as cakes, sweets, biscuits, pastries.

But before going down that route you need a definitive diagnosis. I'm not a medical person but your finger tests do not seem very high. My HbA1c is 48 and my finger prick tests were giving me results between 5 - 11 depending on what I ate.

• Posted

Alright i appreciate your help im a bit of a hypochondriac and keep getting worried but i have no symptoms but will still will goto my doctors and have the test done thanks a lot

• Posted

Joshua, sure that's a tad high, and I think it's great that you even checked it, but for marginal cases they just call it "pre-diabetes" and often enough you can improve it a lot simply by learning to count your carbs and getting a modest amount of exercise more often, just walk a couple of miles a day, if you are not already, can make a huge difference.

You don't even have to do anything huge to your diet, just don't pig out and have 100+ carb meals on a regular basis, as a first step. Just see what your average meal and average day come out to, and avoid the spikes from eating a whole pizza and the like. Even a couple of days of good behavior can knock your numbers down a full point or more!

And yes, even a cold can raise the number temporarily.

• Posted

You are obviously checking your own blood sugar.

It is normally 4 - 7 so I really don't think you have anything to worry about at the moment.

It can vary according to time of day, temperature, if you are slightly unwell with a cold or something. If you are concerned then go and see your GP.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.