Worried I have ALS, getting increasingly anxious about it.

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I'm 21 years old and about a month ago I noticed that my legs felt a little weak, and that my hands were shaking a little. A few days passed, and then I started to feel sore in my biceps and also started to have lower back pain. I then scheduled a doctor's appointment. Now, I have a history of anxiety. I see my doctor and he says it's all anxiety related. He starts me up on some anxiety meds and sends me on my way. A few days passed and I notice that random muscles all over my body are twitching, way more than they normally would. They only last for aboutbut2-3 seconds, but they're more frequent. So I schedule an appointment with my doctor again, and he says it's probably anxiety still. I ask him to refer me to a neurologist so I can be sure, and so he does. Now, the thing is, I don't have insurance. All my doctor's visits had been paid out of pocket. I'm waiting on my application for Medicaid to go through, but who knows how long that could take. And new symptoms keep showing up. I've been increasingly sore in my back, arms, neck and legs, my calves have been cramping these past few days, I keep tripping going up the stairs. This morning I woke up with my left arm twitching really badly. It lasted for about a minute and a half this time. I'm absolutely terrified. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't act like my normal self, I'm constantly mulling over the fact that I could be dying, that I might not have much more than two or three years left, that I won't be able to finish school or get married or watch my kids grow up, that I've wasted the time I've had. It's really weighing heavy on my mind. I feel like someone when with anxiety is seen by a doctor, symptoms like this are usually written off as anxiety related, which in all fairness they could be. But I just don't feel normal. Can someone please offer some insight? Whether I should be concerned or not? And if I should be, what should I do about it since I don't have insurance?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

go to nearest county hospital with ER.    since no insurance
  • Posted

Research magnesium deficiency or even other deficiencies. .that could be it but I know many are low on magnesium and a symptom is muscle cramps and twitching..hope you get some answers real soon..if not, have dr do a panel to ck for any def..even vit d..and b12..look up symptoms.on all those..God Bless
    • Posted

I forgot to mention that I had blood work done and I was healthy across the board. Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated!
    • Posted

But usually drs don't ck for deficiencies...but maybe yours did..sure hope ya figure it out. Try to breathe and calm yr ehole body whn this feeling hits. If whn u go to a relaxed state and it eases, chances are you are reacting to stress...

• Posted

Have you received any vaccines lately or had any other illnesses?

• Posted

None at all. I can't remember the last time I was sick but I know it was a while ago.

• Posted

Oh Matthew1215 firstly try not to panic or worry! I have messages on here myself I began twitching years ago and still to this day! Worry will only make you focus on it more and google will convince you your on your last, I have been there and its a scary headspace to be in. Totally understand how unnerving it is to feel yourself twitch or limbs jerk but remember ALS is rare. Try your best to stay calm whilst being proactive about your health. Mine started as a eye twitch and spread all over and some would last weeks! Look into BFS as it is more likely to be that than ALS. Anxiety is rough and could be the cause of your soreness as your body prepares itself to "Run, fight or freeze" you may be super tense ready to react to the "threat" your body is perceiving. Try your best to be calm and proactive your body is telling you something and sadly as soon as Docs hear anxiety they have a tendency to lean into it for diagnosis. Maybe plan a day out or something to take your mind off it and if your feeling calm and relaxed but still experiencing twitching you can help determine if its more muscular than anxiety related.

Best of luck and health to you!

• Posted

Thank you for your insight! The past week hasn't been so bad. I've tried to relax and spend time with friends and family

• Posted

Hi Matthew we’re are u from you don’t have Ohio Hun . I as well went through lots kept going dr till it got were I was paralyzed. So you keep going and if you feel different things showing up you push your dr till you know other wise hun.
    • Posted

Thank you! I'm close to Cinci but not much has changed on the doctor situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.