Worried I have cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

GRAPHIC PICTURE BELOW

Hey lately ive been worryung about having colon cancer. As a background i am 19 years old and i have really bad anxiety over health issues and just anxiety in general. Over the last few months ive noticed that when i poop i tend to have some that look like this and im really worried as ive read that this shape is a sign of colon cancer. I also get diarhhea from time to time. All throughout the day i here gurgling sounds in my stomach and it happens more when i eat. Over these months ive actually gained weight instead of losing it except for now because ive began to have anxiety about it and have stopped eating. I know i most likely dont have colon cancer and if i did i feel like i would be a lot more tired and sick by now. Im just really scared and the reason why im asking here is because i dont have insurance and i know that my family cant afford a colonoscopy. i know that test woukd calm my fears but idk if i can get it. ive heard of ibs and i do eat a pretty poor diet. i just dont know what to do right now. all my gp has done is feel around my stomach and tell me its nothing to worry about so maybe im juat having a hard time trusting them. Any advice would be really appreciated and sorry this post was so long. thanks.image

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catkins, you sound like a young version of myself. I'm 44 and have suffered from health anxiety for most of my adult life. Like yourself for the last 5 years has been mainly focused around bowel cancer. I like you I have agonized and worried , inspecting every bowel movement. I am now on medication for the anxiety and am able to rationalize things more instead of going into a blind panic.

so here are my thoughts. Firstly you are far to you young and the likelihood of you having bowel cancer would be minuscule. secondly you would be experiencing a lot of stomach pain and more than likely there would be blood in your stools. either fresh looking blood in the toilet or your stools would be black in colour. Also are your stool always thin, my guess would be no? If there were a blockage there they would be consistently thin. My guess is that you are not drinking enough water and you are not eating enough fibre. You also suffer with anxiety which in turn can cause changes in the shape and consistency of your bowel movements. So basically you are stuck in a vicious circle. Treat the anxiety and you will find everything else will sort itself out. Don't be like me and waste your life worrying, it really is a terrible waste of time and effort. 😃

• Posted

thank you so much for your reply it really helped. My stomach never really hurts and i dont think ive seen any blood in there. im beginning to rationalize everything. What you said makes me think im ok. Sometimes the stress gets to me but im working on it

• Posted

Go to your doctor's and get treated for your health anxiety, please. Its a horrible affliction and will ruin your life unless you get control of it. It took me into my late thirties to accept I had a problem and seek help. Trust me when you feel better about this, there will be something else you will start worrying about, sound familiar? it's an endless cycle, and until you address the root of the problem, the health anxiety , it will never end. You are so young, enjoy your youth. please don't make the same mistake I did, it really is such a waste to spend so many years in a constant state of anxiety.

• Posted

Firstly, take a deep breath! This is obviously causing you a lot of anxiety. There are all sorts of things that can cause changes in your bowel movements that are far more common than colon cancer, like a lack of fiber in your diet, irritable bowels, etc. You are going to give yourself a panic attack if your mind immediately jumps to the worst-case scenario with every symptom you experience.

The average age of a colon cancer diagnosis is around 70. While it can occur at any age, it is very rare below the age of 40. People who get it at 19 would usually have a strong genetic risk (e.g. their parents had it as teenagers) or have a condition like FAP syndrome or Lynch syndrome. If you had one of these, you would probably already know about it.

darren75 has given you some good advice. There are techniques that can help you to cope with your anxiety, so speak to your doctor about it.

• Posted

Please go and get a colonoscopy, maybe you could borrow the money. It will relieve your anxiety.

I was mis-diagnosed a year ago, I didn't have blood in stool. Now I am facing surgery. Please get a colonoscopy, the only way to really know. You don't always have any pain. It is not a painful experience, they put you to sleep. I hope you go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.