Worried I have liver desise!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 20 years old and slightly concerned, when I was about 16 I found alcahol and would drink with freinds every weekend or once every 2 weeks heavily for about 2 years, I was going through some tough family times so alcahol was a good suppressant, for about a year and a half I would drink a lot of spirits, maybe half a bottle every week or so, which carries on up until 18, I then got councilling to cut down, I now won’t drink for about 6/4 months then occasionally on a few days destroy a bottle of vodka, this happened last week and now I have nasty pains under my ribs where my liver is and developed flu like symptoms, the gp said take omeprazol then come back if it hasn’t helped and I’ve taken it and it hasn’t, I’m going back tommorow but am I now dying? I do have severe health anxiety which sound ironic but doesn’t help

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You have done the right thing by going back to see the doctor as you do seem to have lots of anxiety.Just don't drink any more alcohol until you have found out the cause. I am pretty sure you are not dying if the pain is the same and has not got any worse.It may be something else causing the problem .You may have some sort of infection if you have flu like symptoms make sure you are drinking enough water.Hope you feel better soon.Take care

• Posted

You'll need to get a blood draw so we can see if any damage is going on in there. You'll wanna look at ALT, AST, ALP, Bikurubin and albumin. I would normally explain I full here, but its 1am on a school note & I need bed so sorry for this copy & paste although informative........

The ALT and AST tests measure enzymesthat your liver releases in response todamage or disease. The albumin testmeasures how well the liver creates albumin, while the bilirubin test measures how well it disposes of bilirubin. ALP can be used to evaluate the bile duct system of theliver.

Also, check the whites of your eyes nearest the nose for yellow build ups. That means too much bilirubin, and under your puts too.

Post your results when you have them & we can help discuss.how long would it have been between your last drink to the blood draw?? Just curious if its enough time to let the liver settle back down & start repairs if it hasn't damaged itself.

Note.....we aren't medical practitioners on here. Some people have been through it extensivel& learnt along their journey.

You could try reading up on milk thistle....many believe it has properties to assist the lives.

Dependant on blood tests, they may want to scan your organ too. When it's a heavy session, the repairing can leave scars behind in the liver. This is cirrhosis and one of your worst enemies, drastically reducing the livers functionality to detoxify all the crap flowing through it leaving chemicals that haven't been broken down and are harmful to the body.

Anyway, you're not at that stage yet as you have no results to go on, so come back when you gave them and we can analyze with you.

Stay dry for as long as possible between last drink to test and you'll get a more accurate measure of what's really happening. Eeply with your results......good luck buddy. Given your description of why & time of drinking AND the fact you definitely have age on your side, I would say don't panic too much.

Stay dry buddy & post back soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.