Worried I have pancreatic cancer...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, first post here and am looking for any help available.  [Smile]  

Apologies for the length of the post but I wanted to be thorough. 

OK, so I have felt unwell since I had a tooth taken out which had infection after infection and resulted in about 6 antibiotic courses over 2 months. 

Around the same time, I thought I'd pulled a muscle whilst sleeping as I had that kind of pain in my left side (torso area) with a feeling of something under/behind the bottom of my left ribcage. The pulled muscle pain has subsided but the weird rib sensation has remained (I likened this feeling to the feeling you get when you are pregnant and the baby has a foot in your ribcage). 

Along with this my bowel movements have been a bit crazy with more diarrhea than normal and more of an urgency to go. Couple of times movement's have been eggy smelling but mostly OK. It can be normal for me not to go to the toilet for 3/4 days and I can have solid motions too. 

I have had sharp pains under ribcage area too but not always. My stomach/gut area in general feels like it has been turned inside out, like when you have been sick many times. Sometime on my left hand side it feels like something is twisting/pinching inside. 

All of the pains/sensations have been constant as in everyday but sometimes I can get in a position which alleviates the ribcage foot feeling. I am eating OK but not huge amounts but I think this is due to my anxiety. 

In the last couple of days (bearing in mind this has been going on overall for weeks), I have had period like pains in my lower abdomen and lower back and a discomfort/ache in my very upper right back in between my shoulder blade and spine. This feels like posture ache and like the muscle could be massaged out of a knot. 

My shoulders and upper arms have also been aching. 

Tests so far: 

Chest Xray - clear 

VQ Scan (for clots) - clear 

Blood tests (including FBC, LFT, U&E, Pancreas, Haemoglobin...that is all I can remember) - all clear 

Stool sample - clear 

Abdomincal Xray - clear 

I have seen a gastro consultant and he think this may be IBD, possibly Chron's. Due to have an abdominal ultrasound Thursday morning and colonoscopy Friday. 

Previous history of 2 perinanal abscesses which the consultant thought was 'interesting' as it is rare to get one let alone two for my age/gender/race etc. Apparently I should have had my colon checked after the second abscess but this never happened. 

I have been googling (I know I shouldn't) and have come across so may things that point to pancreatic cancer and I'm absolutely worried sick, more so about this diagnosis than another cancer as the survival rate is so poor. 

Does anyone have any experience of my symptoms or pancreatic cancer to comment? I would really appreciate some advice. 

Thank you in advance to any who reply X

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Put your mind at rest you have not got pancan. Start believing some of the diagnostics that they have done on you already. Your pain is in the wrong region for it to be either pancan or pacreatitis.

I was dx with pancan last year in Sept had a whipple op in Nov with clear margins but Sept this year I have a ca19-9 count of 6000 in my blood. I think I have more reason than you to worry.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your situation jp3.  It turns out I do not have pancan but I did have to wait several weeks to be told my cyst was benign and not malignant, thankfully it was benign.  I can only imagine what you are going through.  I hope you are doing as well as can be expected.  Thank you for replying and I wish you well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.