Worried I have pancreatic cancer .Doctor is being dismissive .

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 36 year old woman who has been severely ill since the past twenty days or so .I have been to two different doctors ,One of them a very senior one but both of them have been pretty dismissive .

Following are my symptoms which seem to correspond with symptoms of pancan - 

Pain in the upper left quadrant immediately after eating also shooting down to my left leg .Sometimes the pain increases while lying down .

Twitching muscles all over the body 

Neuropathic pain which feels as if my back is burning 

constant burping 

Episodes of mild itching since a few days (though bilirubin test came out normal yesterday )

Tests so far

Ca19.9 - the value for this test came at 2 which according to my doctor is very low .

Amylase and lipase normal 

Liver function test normal 

Abdominal ultrasound - normal 

I am planning to go for an EUS next because I am worried sick .Please help me !

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It’s very difficult to diagnose pancreas issues. It took the doctors over a year to diagnose me. I didn’t have cancer, but I did have chronic pancreatitis due to Pancreas Divseam (born with two pancreatic ducts which is rare). I had itching, debilitating pain, etc. but it was all symptoms of pancreatitis. My blood work was normal and so were other tests except the MRCP. That’s the only noninvasive test that shows the pancreas. 
    • Posted

Good to hear you had it sorted out .I have barely been able to get out of the bed since the past few days .The pain is really low, 2 on the scale of 1-10 but the upset stomach is persistent .The food is passing right through me .I had my gallbladder removed two months back and am wondering if there might be a connection .
  • Posted

I've been referred to the gastro as I've had pale stools for a while now. I get a little pain in my left side but not bad. Why do you say about the twitching all over your body? Are you tense? If so your body will react. That's reassuring your tests have come back good.

• Posted

Yes the twitching might be due to anxiety or a lack of vitamin B12.I am a vegetarian and during a recent blood test, my B12 came out really low .But the other symptoms ,especially pain in the back while lying down are really worrying .Do you get the left sided pain after eating or is it there otherwise ?Also what tests did your gastro ask for ?
    • Posted

I've had twitching recently but I know it's my anxiety as I tense my muscles all the time without realising I'm doing it.

You can get lots of tummy upsets and pains with low b12. I've had it before and it would give me pains and sore throats. No I don't get any pain after eating and not much like others describe. It comes and goes and is mild. I get it on the tight side too. I've been having pale stools for months and chronic diarrhoea. They kept saying ibs but them a fecal calprotectin test showed I have inflammation in my bowels so they finally referred me. Still waiting to hear from them. Its been nearly 4 weeks now! I'm living on imodium everyday.

• Posted

I've had 2 blood test. Pancreas blood test which all have been normal. I had a lower reading on one of my liver tests but the GP sad we don't worry about low readings. When I Googled it it said it can be because of malnutrition. My iron wasn't tested as my hemoglobin was fine. Then the stool rest which showed a result of 90. 50 and under is the norm. I've also been getting fatty stools. It's weird. The diarrhoea is usually from when I wake up. I can have a fatty meal at night with no pain amd then pass a fatty stool the next morning and feel very sick with it.

• Posted

Sounds like an ulcer if you have a burning back? My mum had them and she would be in so much pain after eating she threw up.
    • Posted

Yes it could be an ulcer too .But what worries me is that the pain is more pronounced when eating fats .So I am more inclined to believe its a pancreas issue because the pain is more pronounced when eating fat.Its really difficult to diagnose online because all the symptoms I put come back as pancreatic cancer which is really sending me into a panic mode .Will go to the doctor tommorow and push for an EUS.
    • Posted

Oh I know. I'm the same. Can't get it out my head. Just want some tests now as I'm going bonkers wondering what I have. My mum couldn't eat fats with her ulcer. She would be in so much pain if she ate chips from the chip shop and even throw up. Just keep pushing your doctor. Just seen aviccii has died and he had pancreatic problems. It's so scary and worrying.

• Posted

Your doing what is necessary.  A good GI Dr is what you need.  If it’s there is an issue with your pancreas they will find it. 

Please stay offline researching your symptoms you can end up making yourself sick.  

CT scans to me are a must in diagnosis of any pancreatic issue.  

I had acute necrotizing pancreatitis.   Spent 3.5 weeks in ICU followed by 2 additional weeks in the hospital. 5 hospital stays and 6 procedures all since Oct.  I lost 45 lbs, a lot of hair and was in malnutrition until Feb of this year.  I am on the mend.  I have a constant dull pain in my left rib cage. 

Just follow up don’t drink, don’t smoke and low fat diet.  Those 3 are a must.  Stay away from red meat.  There are 8 super foods for your pancreas.  Google good foods for your pancreas.  Follow it and it will be a good indicator!!! 

Wishing you the best. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you went through so much .I am a vegetarian and a teetotaler .My pain is really a dull ache which only happens on eating and shoots down to my leg.It also happens when I am lying on my back but that too for a few minutes and goes away .Also get pain on sudden moment at times .

Also food seems to be going right through me.I am having bowel moments several times a day  .My stool are not pale or floaty though (sorry for that )

Agree, researching online can really escalate your health worries .Going to the doctor tommorow .Will ask for a CT scan .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.