Worried I'll have this for life.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 27 year old female and I started having pains in my chest about 2 years ago but kept getting told it was anxiety and nothing wrong with me. Finally, after seeing a new GP I was diagnosed with Tietze syndrome. Whilst I find the symptoms and pain come and go I feel each time it returns it brings along different symptoms which makes my anxiety rocket and I'm always thinking I'm getting warning signs for a heart attack. For example, this past week my tietzes has come back with a vengeance and I usually only ever have pain quiet high up my chest just under my collar bone, but this time I had crippling pain on my left side on my bra line. It keeps me awake night after night with the pain and my anxiety of it getting increasingly worse. I went back to my doctor but they just supply pain killers that don't do anything! I'm worried this is going to be my life constantly living on edge that I don't have another bout of pain and forever worried I'm having a heart attack. I've had all the heart tests and bloods done numerous times but this just doesn't put my mind at ease. Happy to hear from anyone who's battled the anxiety that comes with tietze/costochondritis

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Tietze syndrome is not the same as costochondritis. Tietze syndrome is differentiated from costochondritis by swelling of the costal cartilages, which does not appear in costochondritis. Your doctor should be able to tell which it is. Has he not given you an anti-inflammatory for it. There are exercises that can help as well but it often goes away on its own

You have to belive that the heart tests were negative.

• Posted

So sorry your going thru this!! I was diagnosed about 2 years ago. It comes and goes. If you feel its cardiac you should be tested and checked out by a cardiologist. I too have done that and it has eased my mind. However, I now have inappropriate sinus taccacardia. But I think thats because of menopause. My chest pain is like a burning pain in middle of chest, but somtimes goes to left or right. What should be reassuring is that our condition is not life threatening. It just hurts alot!!! Arnica gel may help you..all natural, a TENS unit, Ibuprofin, Soft ice packs, and a lavender bath. These are all things that have helped me. Also, lidocaine patches seem to give relief to some people. You are not alone. Hang in there. Prayer helps me alot along with a therapist. I know it feels scary, It will get better. Also accupuncture definitely helps after a few sessions.  smile smile smile
    • Posted

Our doctor was in favour of lidocaine patches but he now says that for many conditions they are no longer thought effective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.