Worried I’m going to have a stroke - help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

im 35 and suffer with severe health anxiety. the past few days i have been having heart flutters and had a massive panic attack on sunday. this morning i have woke up with a migraine (i have been getting these quite a lot over the last 12 months and dr prescribed sumatriptine), ive also got this pain, like a pulled muscle down one sode of my neck - same side as the migraine and im so scared im going to have a stroke. ive been under so much stress lately - i had a miscarriage in august, my marriage is on the rocks and im having a terrible flare up of my ulcerative colitis and currently on steroids. my health anxiety has been on another level since the miscarriage and i dont know if i should be going to a&e with this headache and me k pain or is it just another health scare im having. all my usual fears are brain/heart/cancerrelated. but i cant help read on the internet how stress causes stroke and migraines increase risk. i should also say i watched my nan die of a stroke which i think is why its one of my fears. please im so scared - any words of advice or reassurance would be very appreciated

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are stressing! Take some deep breaths to find some quiet for your heart. That ALWAYS helps me. Also have health anxiety esp re heart and cancer. Sounds like you're facing a very stressful life phase right now - that is so difficult and def contributes to your symptoms. I can't give medical advice cuz I don't know about the links you mentioned. But whatever you decide to do, you're not alone in suffering. Have you tried tapping? Maybe that could help you refocus or even a warm water bottle for your pulled muscle and some gentle stretching? Is there a non-emergency telephone doctor service you could call? They could also help walk through your symptoms. And maybe check the side effects of your meds - possible side effects you're experiencing? And if nothing works and you feel terrible - A&E is there to help. Even i it is "just" anxiety. Hoping you feel better.

• Posted

Hi love. Well I am not a doctor but I am 41 year old women who suffered a terrible miscarriage 2 years ago. It put my hormones through over drive. I started with health anxiety and depression it lasted me a long time and although I'm better I still relapse from now and again. I am also premenopausal so that doesnt help. I also get a pain in my neck that runs down into shoulder usually when I'm stressed or during my period . I take ibuprofen for that and use a heating pad. You have to be easy on yourself your body has been through a traumatic experience and you are still processing and it's ok. Wish I could give you more advice just breath take time for you try to focus on positive things rather than the things you cant control. Oh how I wish I could give you a hug I know your struggle. Take care and I'm always here to talk

• Posted

i could have written your post i been fearing the same thing the past week. i had gotten a pain on the side of my head and then my temple went numb. mild headaches in the front of my head and my bp been up and im on meds for that. i also have ulcerative colitis have had it for 15 years stress isnt good for people like us and anxiety and panic doesnt help our situation. try to stop worrying you have to get your flare under control cause we both know how this disease is can turn bad in no time and put you in the hospital stay hydrated as much as possible my last flare i was in hospital low potassium as well it was a bad flare hope you start feeling better soon ever need to talk can send my a pm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.