worried i may start drinking again

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i have been sober now for six months after being hospitalised with liver problems and told never to drink alcohol again

The last couple of days i have been absolutely choking on a drink,i no the risks to my health if i do but honestly dont realy care

has anyone else been in this position and how did they overcome it

thannks

Steven

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Steven,

You've done amazing work for six months. I'm on my fifth right now and I understand how you feel. I just try to concentrate and not weaken in that moment. Go walk, exercise, to a movie, or anything. After awhile the feeling passes and then until the next time I'm good. Just what I do. God knows that I'm not the smartest man or really know anything...

Matt

• Posted

Matt

Thanks for the reply and advice,i just called my best mate and he coming round may go see a movie,hopefully that'll as you say take my mind off the urge, just never had it this strong before and worried it wont pass,

thanks again Steven

• Posted

You have done very well, try to hold on or ask your GP for a new drug that gives you the same feel as when u drink its a new drug, how long where you in Hospital for, goodluck.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, i was in hospital for nearly 3 weeks and have visits to my consultant every 6 months, ill go to my g.p on monday and see what he can do for me
  • Posted

Haven't been there so no practical advice. The only way I have been able to stop - was to just stop. But, I only did so for a maximum of 14 months, usually 30-90 days. Frankly, it sounds like the alcohol is talking -  stinkin' thinkin'. Is there anyone around you - who loves you? They're really going to miss you if you further endanger yourself. I would certainly go to every meeting I could of AA. At least once a day, more if possible. The attendees have a PhD in alcoholism and could be a solid support in your life. There are people who have not had a drink there in a quarter century, and they'll tell you  -- one day at a time. 
  • Posted

Oh .... I forgot. My remedy , when I did stop, was intense exercise 2-4 hours per day. I became a gym rat, a permanent fixture at the gym, and found a number of guys who had the same problem I did. We were always supporting each other.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, yeah think i need to go to AA meetings, been trying to do it on my own but feel i may need support
  • Posted

Steven,

Please regard the medical advice as crucial. It really is the most awful painful death if your liver packs up and it sounds like yours has taken a real bashing.

Distraction is good and you have done the right thng by calling a friend. Keep giving yourself credit for all your hard work.

It is worth seeing your GP and asking for Acamprosate (Campral is the trade name). This helps to alleviate alcohol cravings and can be safely taken with liver problems as it is not metabolised in the liver.

• Posted

Thanks for reply Paul, yeah just having my friend around helped take my mind off alcohol and feel alot better today,, i will go to my g.p and mention the drug you mentioned
  • Posted

Hi Steven,

See health information button on top green bar push button. Then alcohol section has all the information you are looking for. The facts of addiction, stopping, the side effects, drugs to help,u and much more...confused

PLZ take the time to read... THANKX...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.