Worried its Motor Neuron ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello  Husband ws put on Venaflaxine for anxiety last August - taken off cold turkey mid Sept as voice started to fade. Then beg of October was prescribed Lyrica and walking problems started. MRI brain scan done - no stroke.Saw a private Neurologist yesterday and he's come up with possibility of Motor Neuron but have to have an EGM done to confirm. We are absolutely devasted as you can imagine. Have read that Lyrica (only on it for 6 weeks - off 21st Nov. 2016) can kill brain nerves.  Has anybody come across this situation please ? Many thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Venaflaxine was  what my husband was put on for pain managment orginally and several years later it was stopp aburtly and put on Cleixia his voice got rough corase he started weakness in hands and other issues he passed away with ALS on Jan 16, 2015 and I felt it was from the Venaflaxine HE WAS FNE until it was stopped suddenly! Venaflaxine is one of the worst drugs ever and once on it basically theres no coming off it without paying a huge health price and with my husband case his life! 
    • Posted

OMG  so so sorry to hear this Crosado . I know these drugs are awful and if we knew now what side effects / withdrawals they gave we like you would never have gone on them.  In your case was it actually proved that it was Venaflaxine ?
  • Posted

Janet, the aggravating part is you kow what MOST likely caused it BUT because it was ALS they refused to beleive it was caused by the medicne! My husband and I both know it was but doctor refused to beleive it so what can you do! Please keep me posted I'm Carolyn Rosado on facebook if you like to add me as friend my profile pic is my son Jacob with two thumbs up in swimming water (he has autism) .   I pray its not ALS!  Hugs!

• Posted

Hello Janet,

I am sorry to hear that you and your husband are going trough. I was on Lyrica over 3 Years along with Cymbalta for pain. I have to say that these 2 combination have helped me to improve quality of life a while having chronic pain. After a while as all other medications the body get resistant to the medication and stop helping. However, I have had brain tumor along 3 surgeries, and Lyrica has not killed brain cells. This medication just numbs nerve perception, and stop sending pain signals to the brain. I would suggest to ask his doctor to prescribe him Cymbalta 60 MG a day along with Lyrica for Central pain. It seems that his walking problems are related to separated issue, possibly cranial nerve VII OR VIII. Ask doctor for MRI IACS to check cranial nerves. I wish you both all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.