Worried my repair has failed

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my rectocele repair 3 weeks ago , and everything has been fine for the last week and a half, but then I started having trouble opening my bowel even though everything is " soft " so to speak . So any how I plucked up the courage when I couldn't evacuate this morning and had a feel and the bulge was back . So am wondering if it still bulges after repair, I've still got three weeks till I see the gyne team .

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Kate take Movico  daily and it will help to move you and make you more convoy when going it is early days yet you will be swollen for months love 
  • Posted

It would seem that 3 weeks is the prime time to feel that everything has failed! Apparently it is the stitches healing/disolving and swelling as you start to do more activity wise. The key is to rest before you've done too much!. Were you prescribed anything post op ? I was given movicol and lactulose to take for two weeks.

?Try to rest more, keep taking the stool softeners - even if you have to get them yourself. Try not to worry(!!!!) and see what the post op appt brings

• Posted

Hi trizwizz...I'm glad kate has brought up bowels today. I'm not sure what's going on in my rectal department. I was given my own bodyweight in Movicol to use twice a day....which I did for about a month. However...I was constantly 'on the trot' for paltry pencil thin results and couldn't tell  the difference between whether I needed to 'go' or was going to break wind. Ha! That could have caused some embarassing moments. I cut the Movical down to one at night in the hope of calming things down a bit and now I'm still passing the same variety of stuff but feeling bloated and almost as if I'm blocked up somewhere in the rear end. As you say, maybe it swelling etc....not sure what to think?

• Posted

Hi Gnomebottom, I had much the same (& still do sometimes) to the point where I saw a colorectal consultant. He said I should have never been given stool softener (in my case Laxido) & even wrote to my GP telling her off! He suggested Fybogel which is a "bulk forming laxative" - now as my name suggests I'm not a doctor but maybe you should consider taking that instead? I would check with GP just in case. I do get IBS which is just brilliant with a prolapse so most of the time I don't know if it's the rectocele, the IBS or maybe just me! Hate all this 🙁.

Sorry, am having a bad week.

• Posted

Hi Imnotadoctor, thanks for the reply. I too have IBS....bummer...and need a low residue diet. Fybogel - which they gave me for the rectocele bowel issues - just made things worse. I was resorting to glycerine suppositiories/enemas for several months before I got to surgery. I have my 6 week check on the 10th of October so I will keep on with the laxatives till then and see what they say. As you so succinctly put it...is it the IBS/rectocele repair...or is it just me?

Sorry you're having a bad week....I think I may end up with 'cabin fever'....I daren't go out as the bowel is so unpredictable I need to be close to my 'facilities'. Its a good job Mr Gnomebottom - who I now call 'Matron' is retired and is able to help keep our show on the road!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, so glad to know I'm not the only one!

I'm going back to see GP next month about the IBS again because it's getting worse. Symptoms keep changing & I'm sure anxiety plays a big part. GP is putting me off getting my rectocele repaired saying as I've already had an anterior repair I should "think long and hard" before having more pelvic surgery. I really don't know what to do for the best, I can't imagine recovering post-op with an IBS flare up!

I need to get something sorted as I can't think about anything else, it takes over your life doesn't it?

I still work part time & I really don't want to give it up but it's sooo hard sometimes.

Mr Gnomebottom sounds like he's worth his weight in gold to me. 😉 X

• Posted

I've had IBS for 20+ years. It has a huge impact - I have to avoid so many foods that my diet is pretty bland. At its very worst 15 years ago I was recommended to have a colostomy. I would have done if it had been something life threatening such as a tumour but I couldn't get my head round it otherwise - seemed so drastic.

I've toughed it out, but the rectocele became a hell of a challenge and now the recovery is a pain in the ass as you just don't know what's going on in there.?!? Mr GB is a pet...but when you spend a lot of time in the lavatory and discussing the state of your innards all romance and mystery goes out of the windowrolleyeslol

• Posted

Oh you poor thing that's a long time to suffer. Mine was manageable until the AR in 2013 then it just went mad & I can't get things to settle down.

I've seen various GPs but none seem to be able to help. The problem with anything in that area is that bowel doctors don't talk to gynae doctors. I cannot understand why not it would help patients so much if they did.

Did your GP support you with your decision to have the repair? Did your gynaecologist take your bowel problems into account before the op? Sorry to ask, don't answer if you don't want to...or send me a private message if you prefer. Thanks X

• Posted

GP said that repair was the only option. The IBS wasn't taken into account....but then I didn't mention it other than post-op when they wanted to give me Fybogel. After such a long time with it - its amazing how you adapt so that living with IBS becomes 'the norm' to the point you don't consider it.

I couldn't have carried on with the rectocele/cystocele as I was - it had been pretty severe for 1+ years....so surgery was the only option.

Obviously, the bowel/uterus/bladder are all in the same zone so if you have a condition such as IBS it does need to be factored in.

I think I may have dropped the ball on that one whereas your GP seems to be giving it due consideration. x

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Takes months for organs to recover from anesthetic and I would imagine the muscles too take a while to recover properly, I know I took a good few weeks before I could start cutting down on lactulose. A few months before I felt I was back to normality.

I also think that once we start the Pelvic floor exercises if helps strengthen the muscles again.

It's is a worry but think it's pretty normal .

Phyl x

• Posted

That's for the replies , I'll try 2 sachets of the movicol and try not to worry till my appt, In three weeks, this operation is much more complicated than I was expecting, and trying to take it easy as a single parent to three kids 6;7; and 9 is proving very challenging

• Posted

Kate, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread with a problem of my own. I really hope it goes well for you.

I didn't know about this forum when I had my anterior repair 3 years ago. I had no idea what I was doing & you don't get much info from the hospital etc.

Make sure you get as much rest as possible, easier said than done I know.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi, thanks for bring up the subject too. I had recetocle and cystocele surgery too. I think mine was caused from chronic constipation. Although I've done everything under the sun to avoid. Just think my system has never worked properly. Didn't know if IBS that you have is the opposite? It was my biggest fear going into surgery with this problem. I do try to be gluten free, it helps with the bloating. I think I have taken so many laxatives most where natural type, over the years that I don't get s normal signal.... I ended up getting a prescription for Linzess. It works, but I wonder about the long term effects.

I also tried eating 25 grams of fiber, unrealistic to eat that much... Just a problem I wish I didn't have, but.have been dealing with it for along time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.