Worried Post Surgery :- Decompression + Foraminotomy [laminectomy ]

Posted , 3 users are following.

Almost 5 weeks on:- Post Decompression + Foraminotomy Surgery [no fusion] for Lumbar

Stenosis.. This was carried out by a top neurosurgeon who deals predominantly

with"Complex Spine" problems in the UK

I have Still got some leg pain but now much better,

however now i have terrible lower back + tail bone pain , i did not have this

pain prior to surgery i only had leg pain. i am now getting quite worried about

this & the success of this surgery.

finding difficult to walk any distance due to this

LOWER BACK Pain which i did not have before the surgery, so the pain is now

much much worse than before the surgery, there is a good improvement in the leg

pain, but i now cannot walk [ dont want to walk] due to the lower back pain

which is much worse than the leg pain i had prior to surgery.

I am hoping some one who has had this surgery can

reassure me that it will get better...right now i am regretting having had the

surgery

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi dont want to worry you but i had exactly same op last October,by a good uk surgeon ended up whole year now with severe low back pain ,tail bone pain where i cant sit for long periods , cant walk due to the back pain , im waiting for the surgeon to see me ive had steroid injections ,steroid tablets its been hell ,i feel like someone tied a knot in my back its so tight ,my hips pull together ,

i hope you dont have it as long as me ,i kept being told it will settle but it never did just got worse ,im wishing you the best

sorry it wasnt a good reply xx

• Posted

hi Greebo64

I had similar 14 months ago by top neurosurgeon in Australia. Mike included a fusion, so much more invasive than yours. I am still not 100% back to normal pre surgery pain free levels and have remaining foot nerve pain and some degree of numbness. Its definitely common to experience some new types of back and leg pain. it's very early for you post operative. The spinal canal was compressed and freeing it up creates new sensations until the irritability produced settles. Expect at least 3-5 months before things calm down but DO GO BACK AND SEE YOUR SURGEON.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.