Worried sick...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I know I'm probably getting melodramatic about something that's not been confirmed yet.

Firstly, I'm not saying anyone will, but please don't be judgemental.

OK here goes, I'm a 40yr old overweight, bmi 51 male. I have high blood pressure and on warfarin for a hereditary condition called factor 5 leiden (a blood disorder whereby my blood is constantly trying to thicken/clot).

The other day I was laid on my back on the floor and my son asked me to look at something on TV. As I lifted my head a bulge appeared above my belly button.

I've never noticed it before, but that's not to say it hasn't been there a while (I don't often lay on the floor).

After I noticed it, I took some photos which also appeared to show a raised ring around my belly button but still had the "inny" appearance.

What I also noticed, when I stood up and gently inserted a finger into my naval I could feel a bump, not very big and it was soft. If I coughed or blew my nose it would firm up, but not "solid like"

When I am seated or laid down, this disappears.

In short (and I know the worst thing to do is Google or use the ada app etc) this all points to a direct umbilical hernia.

Whilst I am planning a visit to the docs tomorrow, I'm worrying myself stupid because of;

A) if it is a hernia, I'm probably won't be a candidate for surgery to weight/bmi

B) again, if it is an umbilical hernia and it get strangulated and emergency opt would be the only option.

Both examples could mean death (as I said, perhaps melodramatic) , so it's damned if I do and damned if I don't.

As I say, the weird part it is, I've never noticed the bump before, but who pokes their finger inside and their navel regularly?

In addition, I'm pretty sure it's not another condition called diastasis recti.

I know I'm over assessing the situation without a medical opinion, but I'm petrified the outcome means me ultimately dying!

I suffer from stress and anxiety as it is and this is sending me into overdrive....

Any info or help would be gratefully received...

In hindsight, I just feel that I've wrecked my body, and anything I do is "too little, too late".

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have an umbilical hernia that the surgeon said is small enough just to watch it. if it stays the same size which it has for a year, no surgery needed. So maybe no need fir concern for you. I hope so.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

If you don't mind my asking a couple of questions,

1. what size is small?

Mine is inside and difficult to monitor the actual size. I'm currently using the distance from the tip of lump to opening of belly button to check if it's getting bigger.

2. Has yours fully "popped out" or does you BB still have "inny" depth?

3. how long since noticing it have you had it?

If you don't want to reply publicly, please please msg me.

Thanks you once again...

• Posted

1. Not sure how to measure it either: maybe 3/4" by 3/8".

2. Mine is fully popped out while I'm standing or sitting, but recedes when I'm lying down. When it's out, I can push it back in, but it only stays in for a short while.

3. Had it a little over one year.

Let me know what your doc says about yours.

Rich

• Posted

Thank once again for your reply, I means a lot to be able to talk to someone.

I've tried to book a docs appointment today but it was near on impossible to get one.

I'm not sure of your location, but I'm in UK and it's near on impossible to get a same day appointment. I start ringing our practice at 8am and by the time I manage to get through they're all gone.

Incidently, my suspected hernia is only a couple of centimetres at most.

Sorry for all the questions, but are you of a healthy weight?

I know I shouldn't compare, but I'm trying to get a good understanding of what to look for and what to expect.

Has your hernia grown?

Kind regards

And again, thank so you much for your responses.

Roy

• Posted

I'm in the US, and no way I could get a same day appt with a surgeon. With my GP I can.

My weight etc is all healthy: 5' 9", 140 lbs, blood pressure and cholesterol good. Age 72.

I don't think the hernia has grown, but will probably book a consult with the surgeon just to have him eyeball it again (it's been a year).

Happy to answer any and all questions. The forums on this website have been a life saver for me for my prostate issues.

Rich

• Posted

Thank you so much.

I'm hopefully going to see doctor next Wednesday (availability permitting).

I know its for the best, but petrified about what he'll say.

I'm 40, but my body is not in good shape.

I suffered a pulmonary embolism on both lungs which are now scarred, hence the warfarin, but with high blood pressure and a very high bmi, I would be a good candidate for planned surgery, so emergency would really cause issues.

Im taking proactive steps to lose weight so fingers crossed I can get to a safe bmi.

Kind regards

Roy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.