Worried that my ‘tension headaches’ are something more sinister.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Was hoping to hear from anyone else that has had similar symptoms to me. I am a generally healthy 19 year old who until recently has never had headaches before. Then suddenly about 3 weeks ago I woke up with a mild headache on the left side of my head and a general feeling of pressure. The headache has not gone away atall since then. Sometimes it gets worse and hurts my right side too. My vision has become a bit blurry and I feel a bit dizzy and out of it most of the time. This has meant that I have spent several of my days off just sleeping as I can’t stay awake, which is also very unlike me. I went to my opticians who said they didn’t think I needed glasses and my doctors who told me it was probably tension headaches and it should go away in a day or two. I was given migreleif which I tried taking but it only got rid of the pain not the vision problems and pressure feeling in my head. I am just worried that it could be something more serious but my doctors have no appts. available for the next 3 weeks so there isn’t much I can do. It is making me very anxious as I just don’t feel right and have a gut feeling that something is seriously wrong as I have never heard of anyone having a headache for weeks at a time and feeling the way I do. Hope to hear in anyone has had similar symptoms and what there outcome was 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just to also add honestly I am quite worried that it could be something horrible like a brain tumour. I have quite bad health anxiety and am getting myself really worked up over this. I feel as though the only thing that will put my mind at ease is an MRI or something Which I know probably isn’t necessary
    • Posted

Hi Catherine

Sorry that you are experiencing some symptoms that I have had in the past. My pain and pressure started on the left side also, which lasted 4 weeks before I got an MRI. I was also experiencing dizziness and health anxiety as well. My MRI showed no problem but my neurologist said I may have a jaw disorder TMJ. Grinding teeth at night tense joint jaw muscles causing dizziness and the anxiety was just helping to tighten the muscles as well, a vicious circle. My anxiety dropped a lot after that and I used strategies to get rid of the lingering anxiety. I had a mouthguard made by a dentist, which stopped the pain within a couple days it was amazing. Sleep is so important also and reducing stress if possible. But, yes an MRI is necessary to relieve your anxiety which just adds to the problem. I also had poor posture on the hours I spent on the computer. That put enormous stress on my shoulder and neck muscles. I'm very well now after a scary six months. I hope this helps you in some way.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I’m glad to hear that you had a similar problem to me and that yours was nothing serious. I hope that my doctors will do further tests when I next see them to help set my mind at ease. I do spend a lot of time on my computer so I will try focusing on my posture more. I know that me stressing out about it probably won’t help, it’s just hard not to when I don’t know what’s wrong. I’m glad to hear that you are well now smile 
  • Posted

They don't sound like tension headaches. Migraine usually cause sensitivity to light and sound. Do you have that? Poor posture does put strain on the neck, and that could also cause headaches.

• Posted

I have had some sensitivity to light aswell. It’s just my headaches have been constant for weeks now. Is this normal of a migraine as I have never had headaches before 
  • Posted

Recently I became a father and while we were trying to get pregnant in an effort to ensure healthiness of my child I quit smoking. I can share my personal experience that once withdrawal symptoms have passed I noticed that my headaches have subsided as well. Quitting smoking is another way to alleviate migraine.   

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice but I’m not a smoker and not addicted to any other substance 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.