Worried to take any new medicines

Posted , 4 users are following.

i suffer from health anxiety. So every little niggle or pain I think there is something sinister wrong with me. I've been given antibiotics by my dentist for a gum infection and read the leaflet (wished I'd just chucked it always) I've had the pills for over a week before I decided to take the anyway. I started them yesterday and then last night I had a funny feeling in my right leg which I know I've had before due to a panic attack, but I got scared that it was a reaction to the antibiotics as this was a listed side effect and worked myself up so much that today I'm to scAred to carry on taking the antibiotics. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm the very same with medication. Antibiotics though you've probably had a lot over your life,and if you've taken one already you know there's no bad reaction. Bad adverse reactions tend to happen very quickly, so your fine and that won't change. In the future never read the side effects!
    • Posted

Yes your right I never normally read side effects but did this time....so feel like rubbish thank you would the leg pain happen straight away you think?
  • Posted

Take the antibiotics they will help you and its only for a few days

stay strongcheesygrin

• Posted

Thank you I am trying to be strong....I hate having to ask for reassurance all the time
    • Posted

That's just what health anxiety does to us, the problem is that no amount of reassurance will make any difference - we don't listen anyway. The only way forward is to deal with the underlying anxiety. I choose therapy as meds aren't a long term solution, and they don't work in the short term for everyone, for some but not all
  • Posted

I would also take the antibiotics. The side effects are very rare but if it happens to like 1% of people wo take them than they have to list them. Antibiotics are usually Safe and for all you know you have probably already taken this particular one sometime in your lift if not another antibotic in the same family or class. There is a reason dentists give antibiotics. Our mouth can be a very germ filled place. The consequences of not taking them could be worse then talking them (sorry not trying to scare you as I too suffer from health anxiety and know how this could be interpreted). So please take them, don't read anything and remember the mind is a powerful thing. It can create pain! If something really bad was to happen it would have happened soon after you took the first pill. ( also remember that starting antiboitics and not finishing them is horrible and should never be done!) That is how we are building an immunity to these damn bugs! Take a deep breath, go out of the house - occupy your mind and good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.